GE Profile Refrigerator Noise

ecguruDecember 24, 2013

Hi, recently purchased a set of new GE profile appliances. Dishwasher and microwave are top notch. The profile french door fridge is amazing...but NOISY (caps for emphasis). As in, runs almost 24/7 and you can hear throughout the house. GE has been trying to help, but the "noise kit" they installed didn't help at all and even amplified the sound. Smartphone app decibel reading is 72! I don't want to give up the fridge, but can't live with the noise. And, this is a noisy house to begin with not exactly a library.

I've got another tech coming next week and have a couple of proposed fixes if they come up empty. But this likely comes down to getting another of same model or new GE fridge. We don't need super quiet, just need something we don't need the TV to drown out. So my questions are:
1) I know from other reviews this fridge is considered noisy - but 72 db?? Do I have an especially noisy unit, or is this par for the course? Don't want another unit if it's more of the same.
2) What is considered the high end acceptable noise level for a fridge?
3) We're locked into a GE fridge whether this model or another? I've seen noise complaints about the Cafe too. Any GE French door fridges w/o the noise issue, or is this a design flaw across multiple lines?

Happy Holidays and thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Farbuncle

Our GE Profile makes very little noise and can only be heard if in the kitchen at the time.

Bookmark   December 27, 2013 at 8:18PM
williamsem

I rarely notice our Profile fridge running. And when I do notice, I'm in the same room. I can't hear it in other rooms unless I'm trying to listen for it, and even then it's not loud.

Bookmark   December 28, 2013 at 6:37PM
lyfia

Mine is about 6 years old and not noisy at all. Sounds like there is something wrong with yours.

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 6:04PM
chisue

Our GE Monogram was noisy for two years, then it just...stopped. I don't think it was as loud as you are describing, but it sort of *groaned*. Like your experience, the repair guy tried this and that, including a new fan motor, but in the end we just waited it out. It's built in, so I was reluctant to start over. On the plus side, it's still going strong after 13 years.

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 6:07PM
gabethan

Did you buy an oven?

Bookmark   December 29, 2013 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Who makes Counter Depth fridge less than 36" wide
Hi, who makes a counter depth fridge that is only say...
Brad Goodyear
48" Wolf, Thermador or Bluestar...or something else?
Looking into purchasing a 48" range. Wolf: Classic....
wren21
High end appliances thermador vs. dacor
I currently have dacor ovens. I am trying decide brands...
mcaprizs
Induction + Teppanyaki match?
Hi all, We are beginning our new build. Before we...
twobelles
Need help picking out the right appliances
Hi Im trying to decide on a slide in electric double...
Julie Hall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™