Glass block lights and photographs

witmomAugust 18, 2008

I know the whole glass block light thing has been discussed to death, and I've done a search, but haven't found this particular question addressed.

I know you can put a photograph on the glass, but is there anyway to make it somewhat transparent? So the light shines through it and illuminates it? I want to make one for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary and am wondering if anyone has done something like this?

Thanks-

Denise

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandma_bonnie

Print on tracing paper - after the ink dries, spray 5 -6 light coats of Krylon (Wal-Mart carries it) clear spray in it to seal it (unless you are using a laser printer) and then decopague it on the block - or you can use a transparency cut to the size of the front of the block and spray craft glue on the block and the back of the transparency - cover with 5 -6 light coats of spray paint letting it dry between coats.

Bookmark   August 19, 2008 at 9:23AM
craftylady-2006

Here's a link that will help you. A gal on the Carol Duval Craft Show made these a few years ago and I saved the site. She printed the pics out on vellum which is a transparency that had adhesive on the back. There is a website called "thevintageworkshop" which sells the adhesive vellum. You might also find it at Michael's or Joann's.

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_occasions_december/article/0,,HGTV_3270_3313693,00.html

Would love to see your block after it's finished, it sounds really pretty.

Sal

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 6:25AM
iowagirl2006

You can print it on a transparency also. I have InkJet transparencies - but if you don't want to buy them - you could probably go to a copy shop with your photo and have them copy the picture onto transparency film.

It does sound neat!

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 5:19PM
luvstocraft

I'm curious as to what a copy shop might charge for making a copy on a tranparency. Anyone have any idea? Luvs

Bookmark   August 21, 2008 at 2:58AM
More Discussions
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
Town Fair Vent
So yesterday I set up some jewelry I make, which I...
sameboat
bread bags
I recently went to a craft show and a lady had bread...
oldcrafty
Drying or preserving live flowers....
Having just lost a son, I'd like to be able to preserve...
SunnyDJ
old - old - old crafts
Boy - looking at that Pack O Fun magazine got me thinking...
toomuchglass
Sponsored Products
Fanimation Akira 52-inch 1-light Ceiling Fan
Overstock.com
Artemide | Facet Clip Wall or Ceiling Light
$345.00 | YLighting
Go Home Loft Light
Beyond Stores
Cabildo Wall Sconce
Lightology
Area Rug: Caleta1 Blue 6' 7" Round
Home Depot