Where can I get round glass to make Victorian style flue covers?

missjaneAugust 21, 2008

Hello-I am wondering if anyone knows where I can buy round panes/pieces of glass measuring 8-10 inches across? I have a collection of old prints, Godey's ladies, etc. and want to try to make some of the antique style glass Flue Covers. I tried our local Lowe's, but no luck: They don't cut circles. Thank you from a new member!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kudzukween

how about some place that cuts glass for windows and picture frames? Or try a glass cutter, I don't know the price of a glass cutter versus having it cut commercially,but maybe you could invest in one and it would be much cheaper if you're going to have a collection done up:)

Bookmark   August 22, 2008 at 5:21AM
goldilocs

How to Cut Glass Disks
By sawing out a round board, laying it flat on a sheet of glass and running your glass cutter around the edge of the pattern you can cut out an approximately round disk of glass. But to cut out a perfectly round disk you must have a circular glass cutter. If you don't want to cut it yourself, try a framing store,craft store or a locally owed hardware store.

Bookmark   August 22, 2008 at 5:46PM
luvstocraft

Just wondering if maybe clear glass plates would work for your project? Lots easier than cutting glass, and you can find them at Walmart or even TS. Luvs

Bookmark   August 23, 2008 at 1:20AM
sunnyca_gw

Michael's Craft stores have framing dept. I think they even sell pic frames that are round so you could just buy 3 of those! Also some cheap metal stands that had 3 "shelves" each shelf was 10 in. circle of glass. I just found wooden plate to replace 1 that got broken at church as we have little ones around. Stands about 30 inches tall & gold colored metal & each shelf goes off from 1 center peice & at 3 heights. Used for flowrers in entrys of buildings or in office for touch of color. Hard to explain. Sorry! Jan

Bookmark   August 23, 2008 at 1:43AM
More Discussions
Is there a product?
that you can design specific lettering graphics on...
pixistix
Deco Mesh Wreath
This is my first attempt at making a deco mesh wreath....
donnas_gw
Thinking of learning decoupage....
........but some questions are stopping me. 1. Must...
pink_warm_mama_1
Beaded Christmas ornaments
Most of the year I am busy making beaded jewelry. But...
tripletmom83
Halloween ideas
Hello, I am looking to do some knitted characters for...
Chrsbt45
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™