Pattern for covering clothes hangers

sassie60August 29, 2006

Hi,

I'm looking for a old pattern that will enable one to cover a wire coat hanger using a type of material (which I don't know the name of). The material that was used, rolls up and when you spread it out, it's about 1 3/4" wide. Maybe a Phentex? Anyway, I've made these coverings many years ago and the pattern uses 2 colours. Does anyone out there remember these? I'd love a copy of the instructions.

Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nonacook

I remember them. My mother made some. She used some of the fabric that you were talking about--it was rayon or nylon,
like material slips and underwear is made of. She also used rug yarn, in 2 colors to make them, But I don't have the instructions. I think it was like braiding hair, except around the hanger.

Bookmark   August 30, 2006 at 1:52PM
sassie60

I do believe you are right. It was like a nylon material and if I can find it, I may be able to figure out the pattern. It can't be that difficult or maybe I should just take an old one apart and hope for the best. Thanks for your input.
Sandy

Bookmark   September 1, 2006 at 4:16PM
ree3

Did you find the covered coat hanger pattern you were looking for? I believe I have the one you are searching for.

Paula

Bookmark   September 23, 2006 at 9:14PM
t_dawna_hotmail_com

HI,

would it be possible to get this pattern somewhere? I've been looking all over for it. I beleive the original material used was called nylotex.

Donna

Bookmark   March 31, 2007 at 2:32PM
snoozinsusanw

I have a booklet that has the instructions for covering the hangers with phentex yarn somewhere at home. If you would like I could scan them and then email them to you.

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 10:29PM
Crafty Gardener

I have the directions on my personal website and also on my craft blog. I'll leave the link to the blog. Hope you can figure out the directions.

Here is a link that might be useful: braided covered coathangers

Bookmark   June 14, 2008 at 6:44PM
Ladyborg

The yarn you're thinking of was called Nylotex. I bought it in Canada MANY years ago, not sure if it sold in the U.S. I am also looking for that hanger pattern if anyone has it!

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 5:22PM
Crafty Gardener

Thanks for the email ladyborg. I'll include the updated link to the braided coathangers.
You sure do have a stash of the Nylotex. I have no idea if it is still sold. I only have a few balls left too.

Here is a link that might be useful: braided coathanger pattern - updated link

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 5:47PM
concretenprimroses

My memere used to make these. My husband and I fight over them! I'll have to secretly make him a few more for Christmas. Thanks for the pattern and the reminder.
kathy

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 11:14PM
sorie6

Could you use plain cotton yarn for this? Thanks

Bookmark   November 13, 2008 at 4:57PM
grandmotherof12

If anyone out there has a pattern for these coat hangers, could I please get it from you? My mom used to make these and is interested in making them again. Thank you very, very much.

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 11:38AM
laforest206_yahoo_ca

I have the pattern, I sell it for 25 Cents with an order of nylotex. see Kijiji add. under nylotex. In original package. Colours available, Marine, Royal Blue, Navy Blue, Turquoise, Brown, Copper, White, Red, Green, Olive, Forest green, Orange and Black (Not shown).

Bookmark   July 14, 2009 at 1:50PM
Crafty Gardener

Where are you located so we know which area of Kijiji to look under?

Bookmark   July 15, 2009 at 6:10PM
laforest206

I'm in Finch Ontario 613-984-2241

Bookmark   July 25, 2009 at 6:38PM
squeeky

I'm certainly a long time in getting back to everyone but thanks for your input and thank you to craftygardner for the link to the pattern. Now, I just have to figure out what kind of material to use. I've also changed my user name from Sassie 60 and that's probably because I had to register again.
Sandy

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 1:57PM
barb_from_pa

I thought you weren't supposed to sell stuff on here. ??

I still use hangers from MANY years ago which were done with yarn. I'll dig one out and post a pic.

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 9:53AM
squeeky

Hey Barb, I'd love to see those hangers done with the yarn or if anyone else has photos of the hangers made with other materials, could they please show us all. Thanks,
Sandy

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 2:26PM
Iceni

HI if you have the coathanger , was it in a booklet with a chair and a slipper pattern? I am looking to buy a slipper pattern, can anyone PDF me with it please?

Bookmark   February 25, 2013 at 9:07PM
Crafty Gardener

I just recently found the pattern booklet for sale on an etsy store and snapped it up right away. It is by Qualicraft and has the covered coat hanger pattern, a slipper pattern, a weaving pattern for a lawn chair and a weaving placemat.
I updated my pattern page awhile ago with my version of the pattern, based on what someone told me. The previous links I've left were to my old blog but now it is on my own domain site. For those interested, I'm adding a link. You can print the coat hanger pattern from my site. Thanks for visiting.

Here is a link that might be useful: braided covered coat hangers

Bookmark   October 2, 2013 at 1:59PM
More Discussions
jewelry wire for Christmas dangle ornament?
I can only find a couple of tutorials on the web and...
wilsonkaye
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
Town Fair Vent
So yesterday I set up some jewelry I make, which I...
sameboat
old - old - old crafts
Boy - looking at that Pack O Fun magazine got me thinking...
toomuchglass
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
Sponsored Products
Gold & Black Heart Pattern Throw Pillow
$32.99 | zulily
Elden Rug 7'9" x 9'9" - WHITE
$999.00 | Horchow
Hand-Tufted Lineage Orange Wool Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Pre-owned Distressed Oushak Rug - 4' x 6'10"
Chairish
Rioverde Upholstery Fabric in Garden
$62.00 | FabricSeen
Series 3092 Rust Flush Sconce
$135.00 | Bellacor
American Drew Bob Mackie 2 Piece Curio China Set in Dark Brown
Beyond Stores
Safavieh Soho SOH799A 6' Round Blue, Multi Rug
$396.00 | PlushRugs
People viewed this after searching for: