Need ideas to recycle plastic bottles

jayokieAugust 7, 2007

I have several bottles that held Benefiber.(sturdy plastic & I can't stand to throw them out) They are in a general shape of a person - "waist" would be high, & "head" section not perfectly balanced, of course. The first thing I came up with is to use a wooden ball for a head & cover w/ fabric, etc to make angels.

They would also make banks by gluing (?) the lids on the bottles. There is a 'pour' opening that would let coins or folded bills be added. It might be interesting to empty with a smaller opening :-) How could these be decorated so help camo the fact that it's made from a recycled item? Someone 'knowing' it & the item 'shouting' it is two different things, IMO.

I also have (again, can't stand to throw them out) Kraft mayo 'jars'...the ones that are an elongated oval, with a large mouth (easier to remove product). I'm using some to hold koolaid packets, bobbins for the sewing machine, etc. If I use one to make a small beginning sewing kit for a teen, how do I, again, camo so it doesn't SHOUT that it was a mayo jar in a former life?

Any other ideas? Thanks!

JayOkie

Anything else?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scottymam

OK, if this shows up 2x I am sorry, I was typing along and the message just disappeared.

I use one of the Mayo jars to keep my cone filters in that go with my coffee pot. If you wanted to disguise it, you could get a small bit of shelf liner or wall paper, put on the top, (molding and cutting so you can still open it) and then glue or screw a drawer pull to use as an opener.

the only thing I am thinking of right now for the Benifiber jars is a Snowman or Santa, much like the Angel you already mentioned. I guess you could paint them up to look like Gnome/Fairey houses and stick them in your garden.

Ellie

Bookmark   August 7, 2007 at 8:54PM
jayokie

Thanks, Ellie - the Snowman/Santa idea is great. I'll have to get w/ sister & see what we can figure out. Hadn't thought about shelf paper to disguise the mayo bottles. Another good idea. Appreciate your sharing!
Mary (aka JayOkie)

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 12:55PM
surfergal

link for coffee creamer snowman

Here is a link that might be useful: coffee creamer snowman instructions

Bookmark   August 9, 2007 at 9:03PM
minnie_tx

I am promising myself to do this one day Singing bottles. If you have your sound on you can hear them

Here is a link that might be useful: Singing bottles

Bookmark   August 12, 2007 at 9:52PM
jayokie

Thanks! for the additional suggestions & links. It looks like the Santa & snowman directions can be easily adapted from coffeemate to benefiber bottles! Appreciate the help.

Bookmark   August 13, 2007 at 2:41PM
sameboat

minnie that is just hysterical! LOL

Bookmark   August 16, 2007 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
wind spinner patterns
does anyone have patterns for the old time wind spinners...
parker806
Vinyl armrest repair
The white driver side armrest on my mid-80s GM car...
davestexas
Halloween costume for my boobs
Yes I know it's pretty weird but after undergoing breast...
trashywoman
Town Fair Vent
So yesterday I set up some jewelry I make, which I...
sameboat
Vase Fillers As Rhinestones?
Hi everyone, I bought a few of these clear vase filler...
moonwolf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™