Story Bracelets

cherryfizzAugust 26, 2005

My friend was wearing a beaded bracelet the other day and she said it was a story bracelet a friend had made for her. The story it told was religious and each coloured or shaped bead pertained to something in the story, 3 beads for the Magi and a bead for purity, a fish bead, etc. Have any of you heard of these story beads? I was also thinking it would be cool to have a family story bracelet. My family story would have a bead representing the Navy (Father), Scotland (Mother), 8 beads for 8 siblings, a bead for the death of a baby sibling, love, and beads to represent 11 nieces and nephews, etc.

Besides beads what items do I need to have to make a bracelet. Any special tools? What do I string them on?

I also have tons of vintage buttons and many mother of pearl buttons and I would love to make bracelets using them but again I have no idea where to begin. I have searched the internet but haven't really found anything that took my fancy.

I am thinking mostly of single strand bracelets and not the woven beaded type. Something maybe dainty and feminine.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Anne

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

Is this what you are looking for? http://www.just4kidsmagazine.com/craftoct.html They are called "Witness Bracelets". Another thing where I saw religious symbols used was called a "Jesse Tree" for ornaments. I found them mentioned on another site a while back. If you do a search, you could probably find variations and a place to get beads to make it into a bracelet. I'm not into jewelry making, but you might get some good ideas googling things like "button bracelet", "color symbols", or "birthstones"

Bookmark   August 26, 2005 at 4:28PM
ashlie

There's a store called Praols Story Bracelets, based in southern San Diego, that handmakes many different 'story bracelets', including religious bracelets, inspirational bracelets, seasonal, and awareness (cancer, etc), among other things. Its mainly geared toward women and girls (who else would appreciate this kind of thing, right? =]), and they're just beautiful! The site is kind of going through a revamp of sorts, but there's a blog for updates. Tell everyone about this company and site, I really think they deserve a mention! The company is Praols Story Bracelets, and the site is www.praols.com. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Praols Story Bracelets

Bookmark   July 2, 2007 at 2:53PM
honeysuckleridge

These were sold at Hobby Lobby during the Christmas season a few years back.
There a few different versions also found in the ABC Distributing catalog as well.

ginger

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 11:41AM
surfergal

another button braclet
http://blog.creativekismet.com/category/tutorials/

Here is a link that might be useful: button bracelet

Bookmark   July 7, 2007 at 11:42AM
pattico_gw

Anne...I saw them at the "Cracker Barrel" and nearly bought one for myself. But I took it out of the package and tried it on...Too tight.

But I sure wish I had a picture so I could make one...

Only thing is...even though they had the same verse with them...they were different.. Not sure anyone would know what they were supposed to be , since they were different.

patti

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 9:56PM
craftfetish

The special tools/other items you might need depend on what kind of bracelet you want.

It sounds like you already have an idea of what you want your bracelet to look like. You could string the beads on elastic or leather or ribbon - in which case you would mostly need to tie some knots at the end.

You could attach your beads to a silver chain or create your own findings. Working with wire, you'll need something to shape it and something to cut it.

A good place to start mighht be your local craft store/bead shop or adult ed program. Try taking a class on jewelry making. That should give you some ideas for assembly.

This is a cool idea - I like the way you are telling your personal story.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 2:56PM
titothebead

Pandora jewelry is kinda the same thing. You pick different beads and arrange them on your bracelet to tell a full story. Maybe not quite what you are looking for but they do have some good ideas for designs!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pandora Beads

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 2:13PM
barb_from_pa

This link works for Praols

Here is a link that might be useful: story bracelets and more

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 3:39PM
smickerdoodle

I did a search on story bracelets and here is a link that I came up with that shows what each bead in the story of Christ means.
http://www.coins4me.com/inspirational/his_story_bracelet.htm

I hope it helps.

Bookmark   July 19, 2010 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Vase Fillers As Rhinestones?
Hi everyone, I bought a few of these clear vase filler...
moonwolf_gw
boot jewelry
Anyone here make boot jewelry? Looking for ideas and...
debrak2008
jewelry wire for Christmas dangle ornament?
I can only find a couple of tutorials on the web and...
wilsonkaye
Thinking of learning decoupage....
........but some questions are stopping me. 1. Must...
pink_warm_mama_1
Town Fair Vent
So yesterday I set up some jewelry I make, which I...
sameboat
Sponsored Products
American Drew Bob Mackie Bed Bench
Beyond Stores
Our Love Wall Hanging
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
Dobby Face Cloth - COPPER
$16.00 | Horchow
Jacquard Face Cloth - WHITE
$15.00 | Horchow
Yosemite Home Decor 12 in. Ceiling Fan Extension Downrod Dark Brown 12DRDB
$10.80 | Home Depot