Diswasher 'after-taste'

davestexasDecember 29, 2012

Old GE dishwasher that still does a great job cleaning the dishes/pots/pans/utensils, but the past few months I've noticed a distinct soapy 'after taste' when drinking from the coffee cups. I changed detergents and rinse agent, but no improvement. I beginning to wonder if this is a symptom of dishwasher old-age?
I detect no difference in function: Hot water is very Hot, rinse cycle does its job....best I can hear anyway. I've never used the 'dry' cycle. No drainage problems....
I don't think its a water problem because the softener works well and there is not change in water quality/taste.
Even changed the whole-house filter, but that didn't help the dishwasher issue I'm asking about.
Advice appreciated. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alex9179

Sounds like too much detergent. Are you using a liquid or powder? If so, reduce it by half since you don't need much with soft water, anyway. If you still taste soap, reduce it again.

I'd also run a cycle with vinegar and water to clean everything out, before loading with dishes.

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 4:08PM
davestexas

ok, I'll try that. always filled both cups full as recommended. will also try a vinegar/water clean. thanks

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 4:20PM
a2gemini

Or try Tang recommended by the Appliance Doctor!
Most people put in way too much detergent- ours says 2 TBS per load and I only use the second one for super long cycles.

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 4:24PM
davestexas

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Coffee tasted right this AM.
Before going outside, I 'balmed' my lips. After coming back inside....coffee time. Coffee tasted 'soapy' AGAIN!! whatthe??
Determined the only thing that was different from 1st pot to 2nd was the lip-balm. Carmex lip moisturizer was the problem. Fits the time-line too because I began using that particular brand about 2mths ago.
Changed to plain chap-stik: problem solved.
Amen!

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 3:58PM
nerdyshopper

I once had a very old GE dishwasher that stopped pumping all the dirty water from the sump during cylces and I had to have it serviced. The man found something lodged in the drain air gap that was blocking the passage and causing dirty water to syphon back into the sump. This might be a diy project if you can access your lines. I had an old Whirlpool that had the pump fail and had to rebuild it too. Don't just assume it is too much soap, especially if you are following the same processes that used to work well.

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 7:38PM
weedmeister

Carmex is a different animal from ChapStik. I stopped using it. Now I do Blistex Lip Medex in the blue container.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 2:39PM
More Discussions
Switching out the cooktop and microwave in new construction
I just purchased a new home, but after the selections...
creekw
Try_Hard's appliances, one year later...
I built a new house and moved in during April 2008....
try_hard
How much Hood CFM to get for Wolf's 6-Burner Rangetop?
Let's say I use all 6 burners at once sometimes (not...
wcutiew
Refrigerator - Fisher Paykel, Blomberg, Summit...?
I am looking for a counter-depth refrigerator no more...
virtualanne
Microwave in a cabinet
I have a Panasonic 1.2 cubic ft microwave installed...
flashfryer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™