Need quick help deciding Thermador ovens/steam oven combos

nolaclsDecember 6, 2013

I am building a new house and have decided to do a all Thermador kitchen. I thought I had it all figured out but I am having second thoughts on my oven choices. I have never used a steam oven before...or any "high end" ovens. Best I have used is a Kenmore elite.

So here is my issue...I have a spot for the 48" pro grand range and I have a tall cabinet spot for the microwave, wall oven, warming drawer. I need some input on what kind of oven configuration yall would go with.

OPTION A

The Pro Grand range Model: PRD486JDGU that has the full oven and the 1/2 oven.

Then on the tall cabinet spot I would have:

Regular Microwave Model: MBES
Wall steam oven Model: PSO301M
Warming drawer Model: WDC30JP

I had originally picked this setup because the wall steam oven seems to have 40 presets vs only 9 presets on the steam oven that is built into the pro grand range. Also I thought the 1/2 oven would heat quicker for small reheats and cooking for dinner. Our Kenmore oven takes a while to pre-heat...not sure if upper end brands heat faster?

My concern with this setup is only having 1.5 ovens not 2 full sized ones. My family is only the 3 of us but I like to entertain. I only have a single oven now but could have used a second one at times...not sure if it would have needed to be a full sized one or not? I also dont know how important the presets on the steam ovens are...never used a steam oven but im looking forward to it. I am told that is the only difference between the wall steam oven vs the one in the range...is it?

OPTION B

The pro grand steam range Model: PRD48JDSGU

In the tall cabinet area the triple stack Model: PODMW301J

With this setup I end up with 2 full ovens and 2 warming drawers but less presets on the steam oven. Don't know that I need 2 warming drawers...and also don't know if I gain any function with the wall oven vs the 1/2 on the range other than size? Also the triple stack has the convection micro that I wouldn't really need...not sure if I can make that the regular microwave OR just get the 3 units separate and have them mounted.

I dont do a ton of oven cooking and one really works most the time BUT this is supposed to be THE house that I live in for good...I would hate to not have what I needed when it was a big feast. Weather I use one full oven as a "warming drawer" while cooking in the other one. Just dont know...help me out please.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nolacls

I decided to change and go with option 2. I wound up looking at the user manuals at the different pre set cooking differences on the steam ovens and the main ones are still there on the pro grand steam.

Bookmark   December 9, 2013 at 3:22PM
vsh1

nolacis,

I am also considering the Thermador ProGrand Steam. Did you go ahead and buy it? If so, what has been your experience?

Thanks!

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 11:04AM
nolacls

I did go ahead with the pro grand steam range. But the house is not finished yet nor is the unit installed so I can not comment on its performance yet.

Bookmark   February 18, 2014 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
48 INCH DUAL FUEL RANGE OR LP GAS
Planning to purchase the 48 inch- dilemma: any inputs...
hkwan
Increased price for high end appliances
Hi All, Sorry for the long post - I'm getting incredibly...
loveumms
Bluestar Electric French Door Wall Oven
Who has one? would love to hear about it! I love the...
Dietitian
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
Keep your fingers crossed -Wolfie oven having DCL circuit error again!
So my Wolf has avoided the dreaded porcelain chipping...
a2gemini
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™