Putka Pods

joyce58July 27, 2007

Can anyone tell me what exactly putka pods are? I know what they look like, but what plant do they come from and how and where are they grown?

I would like to use in Fall crafts... Are they glued easily to surfaces and how long lasting are they? Do they have an odor? Are they easily crushed or broken?

Thanks,

Joyce

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pattico_gw

I found this site..don't know if it tells much about them...but it looks like a good price if you have to purchase some.

Here is a link that might be useful: pods

Bookmark   July 27, 2007 at 8:11PM
minicrazy

Joyce, they will break down over time, and can be broken if they are whacked hard enough. But I have some that I have had for a number of years and they seem to still be okay.

You can glue them on a wreath easily with plan craft glue.

They aren't scented unless you buy them pre-scented. If you want a smell to them, that's easy to do. Just buy a good quality fragrance oil and add a few drops to the pods, then seal in a plastic bowl with a lid or a big ziplock baggie, and put in a closet for a few days.

One word of warning-- keep them stored tightly when you aren't using them, if you have mice! I store mine in an old coffee can. Mice love them and tore into a bag I had them in and scattered them all over my craft closet a few years ago. I live on an 84 acre farm and get field mice in the house when they are harvesting the corn.

Check on ebay for them also. You can get some good buys there.

Bookmark   July 28, 2007 at 11:01AM
joyce58

Thanks for the info Minicrazy....From your description, I guess these are solid....and thanks too for the tip about the mice!
Joyce

Bookmark   July 28, 2007 at 11:29AM
sylky00

Joyce, I don't think putka pods can be grown here; I believe they are imported from India. They hold up well-I've had some for several years. Minicrazy is right about keeping them sealed in plastic or metal containers-mice will eat most pods and even some dried flowers. If you want them for fall, now is a good time to buy them-sometimes they can be in short supply if you wait too long. Good luck with your projects.

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 10:45AM
Deb_from_Pa

Yep, can't buy them here.they are pretty delicate too, so storage is an issue as mentioned above..and you can't grow them here.....normally they are brownish in color....I bought them on ebay a few years ago but they were orange..lvoed them for fall decorating and flroal displays

Bookmark   August 4, 2007 at 9:04PM
More Discussions
Hair Jewelry/Headpiece Questions
Hi everyone, This year, I will be attempting once again...
moonwolf_gw
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
bread bags
I recently went to a craft show and a lady had bread...
oldcrafty
Christmas Village
I received a few pieces last x-mas and I didnt do a...
christine1950
boot jewelry
Anyone here make boot jewelry? Looking for ideas and...
debrak2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™