Tasty but tough roast beef. What to do?

Bob_BJanuary 5, 2011

I roasted a beef cross rib, 2 1/2 pounds, yesterday. Very tasty and very tough. I was thinking what I could do with it. First off, I know I will grind it in the Kitchen Aid grinding attachment. Then what? Lasagne, beef patties? Any good ideas?

RB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Over cooked it eh?
I wouldn't grind it I could cut it up into cubes and make stew....or slice it and simmer in some beef stock, season well with soy sauce, garlic and oregano and call it Italian beef...
But ground? about the only thing I can think of is to add mayo and pickle relish and made sandwiches.
Linda C

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 10:10AM
ann_t

How did you cook it? If you didn't pot roast/braise then that is what I would do with the rest of it. Put it in a covered roasting pan , along with some onions, garlic, herbs (rosemary, thyme) and beef broth/wine (whatever works for you) and into a 300ð to 325ðF oven and cook until fall apart tender. Time will depend on size of roast. Two to four hours probably.

Ann

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 10:32AM
ruthanna_gw

I'd probably do the same treatment as Ann suggested but if you've already ground it, how about some classic beef croquettes?

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 10:51AM
ann_t

You could also make a Shepherds Pie if you have already ground the roast.

Ann

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 11:07AM
Bob_B

No, the roast was not over cooked. In fact in was quite pink and juicy. AS per instruction in Joy of Cookling, I seared the outside of the roast at high heat and then continured the roast at low heat for both crust and tenderness.

It was a lean roast, like most cross ribs, not marbled like a chuck roast which is ideal for braising and long stewing. My experience with lean beef is that long braising, while it may result in a tenderer meat, also gets quite dry. Hence the decision to grind and use in some other fashion.

RB

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 11:11AM
jessyf

If you are set on grinding it, I'd consider reincarnating it into chili con carne (excuse the pun.....).

The other option is cube it, and toss it in a pressure cooker with a jar of salsa = instant Mexican! (food)

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 11:20AM
sushipup1

Did you let the roast rest before cutting into it? That can make a roast tough, too.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 11:27AM
centralcacyclist

I've had that experience with a cross rib. Tasty but not very tender. I'd slice it super thin and eat it as an open faced sandwich on a crusty roll, with some cheese broiled on top. Or a French dipped sandwich.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 11:38AM
chase_gw

Shepherds Pie is a family favourite here. I often make it from left over ground roast beef.

Shepherds Pie

4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
3/4 cup diced onion, about 1/2 medium
1 cup diced celery I usually omit the celery and add frozen peas)
2 cups diced carrot, about 2 medium
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 heaping tbsp tomato paste (I often use Worcestershire too)
2 tbsp flour
1 cup red wine ( I often omit)
2 1/2 cups beef stock ( I use 1/2 stock one half my brown sauce)
1 sprig rosemary
1 sprig thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

4 medium cooking potatoes, peeled and quartered
2 cloves garlic, smashed
butter
1/4 milk
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese I often omit)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Add 2 tbsp vegetable oil to large pan over medium high heat. Add ground beef.
2. Cook until excess liquid is gone and meat is starting to brown. If required drain of any fat.
3. Remove meat from pan and deglaze with red wine, let reduce slightly.
4. In another large pot, add remaining vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add onions, carrots and celery; cook until soft but not browned, about 5-7 minutes.
5. Add garlic and add tomato paste. Brown paste slightly then sprinkle in flour. Cook out for a minute or two
6. Add in red wine, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan.
7. Add beef stock, rosemary, thyme. Return browned meat to pot. Simmer, covered for 20-25 minutes.
8. Remove lid and continue cooking for another 10 minutes; liquid will reduce and thicken. Remove rosemary, thyme . Season well with salt and pepper.

Potatoes

1. Add quartered potatoes and smashed garlic to medium pot.
2. Boil until potatoes are tender but not overdone, about 15-20 minutes.
3. Strain potatoes; let dry out slightly in colander before returning to pot. Add milk, butter, pepper, Parmesan cheese and more salt if necessary.
4. Mash potato masher.

Preheat oven to 400. Spoon filling into the bottom of a 10-inch round casserole dish. Top with potatoes. Grate parmesan cheese on top and dot surface evenly with butter. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake on middle rack until top is golden and filling is warmed through, about 20-25 minutes. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 11:50AM
seagrass_gw

I still remember ground beef salad sandwiches from my childhood. Not fondly. My mother would turn old beef into sandwiches for our school lunches by putting the meat through a grinder with pickles and mayo. To be fair, the key word here is "old". Guess she figured if her kids were hungry enough when lunch time rolled around, they'd eat just about anything.

seagrass

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 12:07PM
ann_t

Sharon, your Shepherds Pie looks delicious. I make mine similar to yours but I leave out the carrots add the celery and I serve peas on the side.

A cross roast is not my choice for dry roasting. Although it has good flavour, it is not a tender cut and really not the best suited for roasting. This cut really is better as a pot roast.

Ann

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 1:12PM
iris_gal

Hi Bob, I used cross ribs a lot when my boys were growing. And thin slicing is the key, as barnmom said. Getting those long tough fibers cut across into short chewables. I cooked mine med. rare. The next day I'd cut the roast in half to be able to slice off thiner slices. For a sandwich, I'd cut a slice into bite-sized pieces. Yum. Still chewy but delicious.

When doing stroganoff, allow the thin slices to be at room temp. and add to the hot sauce just before serving to minimize furthur cooking. Same for a stir fry.

Another favorite use of this cut was to freeze it uncooked and slice slivers for stir fry.

I got adept at choosing a more tender cross ribs by noticing the color. If they were bright red and no thin marbling at all, pass. Aged beef isn't bright red. And with the change a few years back of USDA nomenclature most groceries are not selling choice but commercial (?). Have to buy filet mignon in that grade to be tender!

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
white dishes that do not scratch or chip
Looking for durable white dishes
pianopiano
Help with baked eggs and a new oven
Hi - we recently got a new oven (Thermador) and my...
peggysugar
Canning tomato juice worth it?
Hi All - I'm thinking about canning tomato juice this...
jennieboyer
What's For Dinner #338
#337 has reached over 100 posts. Jasdip, I love fried...
ann_t
Awesome Shortbread with Caramel and Dark Chocolate
I have picked up so many great recipes from this forum...
dancingqueengw
Sponsored Products
Waring Cotton Candy Maker
$49.95 | FRONTGATE
Green Metal Bird Bird Feeder
$14.99 | zulily
Cuisinart CPT-2000 2-Slice Long Slot Motorized Toaster
Overstock.com
KidKraft Tasty Treats Pretend Play Food Set - 63330
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Great Northern 6-oz Popcorn Portion Packs (Case of 24)
Overstock.com
Wafer Cookies - Vanilla Flavor - 8 oz. Package - Case of 12 - 5000
$64.99 | Hayneedle
Anolon Advanced 18x10-inch Double Burner Griddle
Overstock.com
Mealworms & Nuts Suet Balls - Set of Six
$24.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™