What did I do wrong??

monicatxJuly 7, 2012

Hi, Everyone:

I had a cute metal box (very small) that I wanted to paint with craft paint. I cleaned off the metal top with alcohol before I did anything, then painted it with outdoor gloss paint. My thinking was it would take 3 coats. Well, I am on coat 4 and it still shows the original painted colors and words. Yes, I did let it dry about 45 minutes between coats. (I run a dehumidifier for health reasons so it should have been dry)

What should I have done to have my craft paint give better coverage? This is something I want to do again.

Thanks,

Monica

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

I think you probably needed to sand it and then coat it with a primer before you used the paint.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 3:17PM
monicatx

Hi, Adellabedella;

I did not sand it because I was painting around a fancy border that I wanted to keep. It is finally done, but 5 coats and not too smooth.

Thanks for your input.
Monica

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 3:28PM
sunnyca_gw

Don't feel bad, I've bought a couple of different things at thrift shop & painting over a sign on wood- still kept showing through, words on metal are sometimes decals & you can still "read" it because the decal raises the letters. So I learned to use electric sander on wood & watch what is on metal. If you aren't happy with it you could take a stiff brush or even old toothbrush, lightly coat with paint little lighter or darker than what your paint was & lightly run your finger over the toothbrush onto a paper towel to see if the light over-spray makes the slightly messy paint less noticeable. You get light speckle (don't wet brush 1st tho) If too much paint wipe brush on paper towel so you get just a little when you do it over your project. Jan

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 9:03PM
monicatx

Good idea. I will try that. From now on I will use a primer and not just a sealer.

Thanks,
Monica

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 10:55PM
More Discussions
boot jewelry
Anyone here make boot jewelry? Looking for ideas and...
debrak2008
Ideas for Button Crafts- Wuttons
Look what I found at Joann today! I thought these owl...
arollins1
What type of fabric to use to make primitive snowman?
Hi...I have been making snow man door hangers. What...
donnas_gw
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
Vinyl armrest repair
The white driver side armrest on my mid-80s GM car...
davestexas
Sponsored Products
Jura Capresso Impressa Z7 Coffee and Espresso Maker - 13549
Hayneedle
Ascending Hot Air Balloon Print
$44.99 | Dot & Bo
32" Red Cedar Contoured Backed Bench
Fifthroom.com
Personalized Pet Bowl Holder - G
$250.00 | Horchow
Eastwood Leather Armless Chair - Brighton Soul White White
Joybird Furniture