tea staining ?

ladycraftJuly 17, 2012

I'm tea staining things I have made from muslin. I would like to make them stifffer/harder. Has anyone tried modge podge in the process? Or does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
onescrappynana

I have heard that baking them in the oven at 250 hardens them. YOu have to be careful that they aren't dripping wet when you put them in. I did that and scorched them. Keep checking on them to make sure they aren't burning.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 6:26PM
ladycraft

Thanks I will give that a try. I omited that step and used the sun because I was to lazy! Didn't realize that was why they did that.

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 8:57AM
FlamingO in AR

A thin mix of watery glue will stiffen it really solid, as would purchased fabric stiffener. If you just want it slightly stiff, I'd use starch.

When I made dolls and wanted "tea-stained" muslin, I used Tan Rit Dye to get the color with no fuss (and no broken tea bags!) If I needed to make it grungier, then I would dab on tea or instant coffee concentrate, but the smell always bothered me a little after that.

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 7:27AM
ladycraft

I don't like the smell either. There is a booth at craft mall that has nothing but really grungy stuff and it smells bad. Would probably smell the entire house. I usually just spray some if I need it.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 7:06AM
mjowest

I have some clothes pins I would like to grundge up- and was wondering if wood can be tea stained, too?

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 4:10PM
ladycraft

I don't know about wood. I have found a method to grunge things that seems to work on several different surfaces. If you google how to grunge a jar it will give directions Or you can search how to make new wood look old. It uses vinegar and steel wool. I bought the steel wool but haven't tried it. Or if you just want different color use some wood stain. I have some ebony that would make it look older.

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 7:22PM
bulldinkie

I always heard after staining [put in dryer it will set color

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 10:19PM
mjowest

Leave it to Pinterest!

coffee, vinegar and steelwool

Here is a link that might be useful: wood stain

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Beaded Christmas ornaments
Most of the year I am busy making beaded jewelry. But...
tripletmom83
What type of fabric to use to make primitive snowman?
Hi...I have been making snow man door hangers. What...
donnas_gw
Thinking of learning decoupage....
........but some questions are stopping me. 1. Must...
pink_warm_mama_1
yarn picture kit
I am looking for a kit that was popular in the 70's...
Terri-57
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™