Girls dresses for cross stitching

sydneylanierDecember 16, 2004

Because I don't cross stitch - yet - ( I hand embroider), I'm not in on the cross stitch world...can someone tell me if those little white cotton dresses that are cross stitched (and for sale at high prices!) are available for sale? I was in a store today (Rosalina) and they had both cross stitched dresses and embroidered dresses. I would like to buy a "blank" and do the 'artwork' myself. I tried a GOOGLE search but came up empty. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donna_loomis

At the craft store, you can buy "waste canvas". You machine baste it on most any fabric you wish to cross stitch on. It is an open weave, with a colored thread every 10" so you can keep track of your count. You do your cross stitch design over both this canvas and your garment. Then you wet the garment and the waste canvas sort of just comes apart and you pull it out thread by thread. Voila!

Bookmark   December 16, 2004 at 12:44PM
cross_stitch

What you describe is called "heirloom sewing". If you do a web search for those two words, you will find lots of sources for the fabrics, classes and books tp get started making such clothing. If you are lucky, maybe someone will sell the basic unadorned dresses for your artistry.

Bookmark   February 5, 2005 at 4:19AM
donna_loomis

Also, I don't know about those particular dresses, but Michael's, a craft store in our area, sells aprons, bags, shirts, etc. for adding your handiwork to.

Bookmark   February 5, 2005 at 2:48PM
More Discussions
Angry bluebird
Does anyone know where I can find a chart For the angry...
josephene_gw
songbird bell pull pattern
I've just finished a butterfly bell pull and would...
marricgardens
Pic2Pat.com, who loves it?
I just discovered the site and have had fun this afternoon...
bossyvossy
Newbie needs some help
Hello members. I am your newest participant. My name...
AnyPlan
Christmas tree
I have finished stitching a modern Christmas tree and...
xstitch1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™