Do you use a hoop?

bporterNovember 30, 2005

Hey, this is just something I was wondering about. The person who taught me to cross stitch did not use a hoop, so I never learned to use one. I just hold my fabric with my hands. I find that my cross stitching looks just fine without it. I have tried to use a hoop and it seems to slow me down. Are there many people out there who don't use a hoop to hold the fabric? I once asked a friend if I should start using one and she asked if my projects looked good. They did, so she said not to change anything.....I am really just curious....

Thanks,

Betty

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nookie

I've tried to go without a hoop but got some serious cramps in my fingers after awhile :o( So you can safely assume that I use hoops to cross stitch. :o)

Karen

Bookmark   December 1, 2005 at 10:13AM
sisters

I do not use a hoop, I find it more comfortable. I use hoops when I do regular embroidery. Mine come out fine this way and I do not get hoop imprints to worry about!
Sisters

Bookmark   December 2, 2005 at 11:02PM
acraftylady

I could never stitch without a hoop. I use q-snaps on some things and sometimes I use a plastic quilters hoop from Joanne's as I find it grabs and holds the fabric very taut for me.

Bookmark   December 20, 2005 at 6:40PM
phouka

I use a hoop and a floor stand, my hands cramp up if I try to stitch in hand. I've never had problems with hoop marks, even on linen.

I can't get the hang of qsnaps (they are too bulky, or something).

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 12:08AM
grammyp

If I have lots of 1/4 stitches or have to change colors often I use a hoop. If I have masses of single colors I don't. I do always remove the hoop when I take a break and have never had a problem with marks.

beverly

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 5:05PM
dpinker1

I have always used a hoop which works great for me. I do remove it when I am done for the day.

Bookmark   December 28, 2005 at 8:09PM
pommona

I don't use a hoop. I use one of those frames with the roller bars because it keeps my stitches from getting smashed and prevents hoopmarks.

Bookmark   December 30, 2005 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
Tangled thread
hi all, so i'm new to cross stitching but i'm already...
stitchingbee123
Rug Hookers
I'm looking for advice on rug hooking-anyone?
flowergirl70ks
popcorn chart / tatty teddy exchange suzys zoo
i have quite a few popcorn charts and taty teddy charts...
cute
Turtle cross stitch
Finished my turtle. I used 16 count aida which makes...
xstitch1
Tatty teddy book marks
Hi all, If anyone has any me to you bookmark patterns...
Lorna.rogers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™