Need advice for shell wreath base format

phish_gwJuly 12, 2013

Hi. I'd like to make a shell wreath. But I want a very basic simple base so as not to distract from the decorations. Therefore I don't want to start with a vine wreath or a greens wreath. But I do want it to be strong enough to be durable (I made one before with my desired "simple" base of styrofoam, but then it broke in half). Any advice on what material or base I should start with? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

I made sort of 1 that I had seen on a friend's wall. It was a ring of gold metal 6-8 in. across then using "ocean" "sand" colored rough yarns wrapped the edge with rope looking yarn &filled in the ring(up & down- not side to side & glued on the shells. The ends of yarn hung below in various lengths to look nice. DIL was thrilled to have it for her new home. She loves the ocean! Sounds like you want the whole thing covered so I would cut a 1/4 or 1/2 in. thick circle of wood & glue it to foam & attach it with wire to the Syrofoam wreath ring. Use foam ring to pattern the wood. When attached to foam , perhaps you could spray paint the wood & foam sand color before you add shells so it looks very beachy! Have fun! Jan

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 7:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bulldinkie

I made one but I used grapevine.I made a beachy wreath,so grapevine looked good,I even draped netting over part.Turned out really pretty

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 11:09PM
More Discussions
Wooden cutouts
This crazy but I am looking for a Texas tech university...
lholton2
Can anyone recommend a spray paint for Styrofoam?
I know it exists, as I've used it. I need to spray...
linnea56
Is there a product?
that you can design specific lettering graphics on...
pixistix
old - old - old crafts
Boy - looking at that Pack O Fun magazine got me thinking...
toomuchglass
Drying or preserving live flowers....
Having just lost a son, I'd like to be able to preserve...
SunnyDJ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™