Gorilla ruined my project

scarlett2001July 12, 2011

Does anybody know of a good glue that will hold buttons to wood and can be out in the weather? I made a door hanger - wooden sunflower head with buttons in the center for the "seeds" - used Gorilla glue and it looked fine - until later, when the glue expanded all over the place and made it look really sloppy. Gorilla holds very well but expands 3 to 4 times as it sets, which means you can't see where it will show until it's too late.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandma_bonnie

I'm not a fan of gorilla either. Here is a site for ya
http://www.thistothat.com/

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 10:24AM
scarlett2001

Thanks! I will try that site.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 12:13AM
karenm26

why don't you try what they use to glue glass together for the plate flowers and totems that are outside summer and winter. Go to Lowes and get some GE Silicone Caulk for windows and doors. It comes in a tube that is used with the caulk gun or they have it in small tube, but that is more expensive. I have glued a lot of things with this and it dries clear. You can also smooth a small about on your buttons. I have met my stuff outside winter and summer and I live in Indiana where we have had some really rough winters. This is great stuff, I don't like gorilla glue either.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 4:57PM
scarlett2001

The trouble with gluing small buttons is that they are slightly dished. So if you glue them with the concave side facing up, the glue seeps through the holes and if you try to glue them convex side up, there is very little area touching the base.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 4:25PM
monicatx

I would use E6000. Since I discovered it about 4 years ago I use it for anything outside and inside. It will hold outside in the Texas sun for about 3 years. It is clear and does not shrink or expand. Comes in a tube for about $4.00.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 8:33PM
More Discussions
yarn picture kit
I am looking for a kit that was popular in the 70's...
Terri-57
Beaded Christmas ornaments
Most of the year I am busy making beaded jewelry. But...
tripletmom83
Drying or preserving live flowers....
Having just lost a son, I'd like to be able to preserve...
SunnyDJ
Is there a product?
that you can design specific lettering graphics on...
pixistix
Hair Jewelry/Headpiece Questions
Hi everyone, This year, I will be attempting once again...
moonwolf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™