Undermount micro/ speed cook that fits in 30" walled space?

rcoopDecember 21, 2012

We are installing our kitchen cabinets and I just spotted a problem that our kitchen designer did not see. Our 30" microwave needs 6" to the left to open the doors. Since it is going in between our fridge and oven cabinet the trim and cabinet walls on either side are 24" deep.

We were originally putting a vent hood microwave in that space because we wanted to undermount our microwave to the upper cabinet for more counter space. We did not need the vent, but wanted a built in look.

We had a GE Monogram Advantium wall oven in our last house that I loved. Do any of the undercabinet Advantiums work in that tight of a space.

Our double ovens which are next to this cabinet are Fisher Paykel stainless with the blue insides. (about 4 years old and not the current model).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
williamsem

The Advantium OTR models on the website specify 13 inch max depth for cabinets above or next to the unit. I would guess unless you find a model without a handle it would be hard to put a MW in that tight a space. You could looks for a slightly smaller model with a trim kit to allow room for the door to open, but I have no idea what options you would have (probably the only aspect of our remodel I didn't need to research, sorry!)

Sounds like a nice idea, hope you can make it work!

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 7:57PM
williamsem

Should have asked, have you considered putting a built in Advantium in the oven stack? You didn't mention how many ovens.

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 7:59PM
rcoop

I have a fisher pakel double oven, so that is out. The idea was to kind of hide the microwave. Wish I had thought out everything better. The only 27" Advantium is a 120 right?

Thanks for the suggestion! We have 2 young kids and planned this remodel fast. In our last house I had everything planned out, but that was pre-kids.

This post was edited by rcoop on Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 21:51

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 9:50PM
williamsem

As far as I know, yes.

I don't have experience with these, but reading a lot on GW I would suggest looking into MW drawers that can be mounted under the cabinet as well as putting a standard MW in the upper cabinet either behind full doors with shelving above or in a separate compartment with lift up door.

You can search GW via google to read about them more. I don't know enough about speed/steam options to know if there are any that might work in those configurations, but I'm sure someone here will!

Bookmark   December 21, 2012 at 11:18PM
rcoop

Thank you so much for the information. I already searched garden web. I did find a post by jscout in which he built out the sides on a 33" cabinet and put an Advantium in. I know about MW drawers and under counter installs. I have 2 young toddlers which in part amounted to the lack of planning on this kitchen on our part. I think we are going to just have to fool around with installs.

I will probably ask in kitchens later today to see if anyone has ideas over there.

Bookmark   December 22, 2012 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Help with induction please
I am planning to buy induction when we reno the kitchen....
sherri1058
Tall wine cooler
Would like some feedback on wine cooler. Some that...
mcaprizs
cancer warning on kitchenaid dw
New kitchenaid dishwasher manual has warnings for chemicals...
kickball
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
Convection Microwave vs Speed Cook Microwave Help
We are remodeling our basement to include a kitchenette...
Teresa Cooper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™