Anyone make kid's lamps?

nanaofiveJune 8, 2008

I am redecorating our spare bedroom. My granddaughter's 4 and 7 years old spend one night every week-end with us and this is where they play, also. So far we've painted the walls radiant orchid and I've ordered a bedding ensemble called Bye-Bye Butterfly from J.C. Penney. My idea is to to use craft foam and cut out butterflies and flowers to put on the walls. I am also going to repaint the chest-of-drawers, bedside table, etc. but I'm waiting for the bedding to arrive so I can match the color to that. My question is, has anyone ever made a lamp? I have seen some made from stuffed animals and was wondering if maybe a butterfly pillow(small, of course) would work or if I could find a template my husband could cut one out of wood. Does anyone know where to buy a complete lamp kit. You know, it needs the rod that goes to the base? Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this. but if anyone has any ideas, I would really be tickled to hear any and all! Have a great day!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minnie_tx

I used to have directions for a lamp made out of ABC blocks. you stack them in a pyramid and then glue little animals etc on some of the blocks. You could do a google for making kids lamps. I'm sure there are a lot of ideas out there.

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 2:02AM
sharon_fl

Check out yard sales, etc for one of those lamps that have rectangular panels on all 4 sides in glass. You could then find some colorful butterflies that are translucent & glue them to the outside glass panels & the light would shine thru them.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 1:10AM
Carol_from_ny

You can get lamp kits at the the do it yourself box stores, like Lowes.

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 11:31AM
luvstocraft

You could also take any ceramic lamp and repaint it then stencil or glue your butterflies on it. I tend to just use regular spray paints and a sealer on top, but there are paints like Perm enamel made just for ceramics.

You can also paint the shade, or even make a fabric cover to go over it. I did one for a baby's room once and just made it longer than the shade and sewed a "channel" at the top and bottom to thread elastic in it. Then stich up the sides and slip it right over the existing lamp shade.

The walls, furniture and bedcoverings all sound really cute, I know the kids will just love their special room at your house.

Luvs

Bookmark   June 13, 2008 at 1:10PM
More Discussions
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
Christmas Village
I received a few pieces last x-mas and I didnt do a...
christine1950
What type of fabric to use to make primitive snowman?
Hi...I have been making snow man door hangers. What...
donnas_gw
Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?
Will baked potato bags burn in the microwave? I use...
cooper9191
Halloween Costume Update
Hi everyone, Some of you may remember me asking where...
moonwolf_gw
Sponsored Products
Cast Brass Mini Bullet Low Voltage Landscape Light
Lamps Plus
Modulo S22 Pendant by Leucos Lighting
$459.40 | Lumens
44" Kichler Canfield White Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Uttermost 29058 Trent Buffet Lamp - 29058
$160.60 | Hayneedle
Large Brown Burlap Modified Drum Shade with Self-trim
Overstock.com