Sewing potholders

deedeebakerJune 24, 2007

Just curious about sewing potholders and using them for various things. I've read that people have done that and would like to know about sewing them. Are they hand stitched or machine? I did post this on the sewing forum but haven't gotten a response yet and I would really like to try one. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wired

Someone else asked this and here are some ideas I replied.
My aunt who is 92 years old, makes those posted on the allfreecrafts.com site. She made me one for scissors and I love it! She also makes some to fit on the handles of cast iron skillets that are for sure a favorite of our family. Anyway it's basically a pot holder folded kinda like a burrito, hand stitched down the center seam and bottom. These are the greatest gifts for sure...since she made them..not to mention how hot cast iron gets. Every time I make cornbread..always in my cast iron skillet, as soon as it comes out of the oven, the pot holder handle cover goes on. I've always been afraid someone will walk by and grab the handle and get a brand :-)

Recently my brother and his wife ordered me a cast iron skillet that is square with a extra side handle. In the box was a handle holder made from a pot holder, but was not near as nice and thick as the ones my aunt makes. Now to figure out how to make something for that little side handle.
Here's a link and photo of my new skillet to give y'all an idea of the side handle. I think in accessories there may be a picture of the handle pot holder. I love the skillet, but the side handle scares me!
HTH

https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1.asp?menu=logic&idProduct=3937

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 7:15PM
More Discussions
Halloween Costume Update
Hi everyone, Some of you may remember me asking where...
moonwolf_gw
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
boot jewelry
Anyone here make boot jewelry? Looking for ideas and...
debrak2008
old - old - old crafts
Boy - looking at that Pack O Fun magazine got me thinking...
toomuchglass
Drying or preserving live flowers....
Having just lost a son, I'd like to be able to preserve...
SunnyDJ
Sponsored Products
Green No-Slip Grip Hot Pads - Set of Two
$11.99 | zulily
Garden Potholder & Dish Towel
$12.99 | zulily
Queen 200TC Embroidered Hem Sheet Set - WHITE/FUCHSIA
$225.00 | Horchow
5' Red Cedar Bench
Fifthroom.com
Queen 200TC Embroidered Hem Sheet Set - DUSTY BLUE
$225.00 | Horchow