Airlines & needlework

crafteedeeSeptember 18, 2007

I'm usually on the quilting sister site to this one... But thought you all might know the answer to this one better.

I will be taking a very long int'l flight in the near future & want to do some needle work. When restrictions got very strict a few years back, I just stopped bringing stuff completely. Now, I want to know what types of craft supplies are allowed on flights. Scissors, needles, etc.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julia

Scissors of less than 4" are now permitted as are needles. Circular cutters are not permitted; oddly these are touted as OK by most shops. However, despite these rules, security agents may still confiscate anything they think may be a weapon. If you argue you may not catch your flight. I haven't had a problem on domestic flights. The TSA web site suggests you bring a SASE in case their agent is disagreeable.

Here is a link that might be useful: TSA Guidelines

Bookmark   September 20, 2007 at 11:26PM
crafteedee

Thanks Julia!

I figured ya'll would know this better than most anyone. I guess to be safe, I can take a pair of Kinder scissors since all I need to do is cut threads & such. But I do have the pendant cutter which I absolutely love.

Bookmark   September 21, 2007 at 6:57PM
annie1971

The pendant cutter seems like a safe choice; probably should have one for around the house anyway. What is a SASE? Needles don't matter? or the size of your scroll frame, I hope?
Remember when you could just get onto an airplane! Now your blood pressure rises for fear of being stripped down for a tapestry needle!

Bookmark   February 20, 2008 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
looking for a chart
I started the piece His Love. My chart got ruined and...
sweetkitten51
Tatty teddy book marks
Hi all, If anyone has any me to you bookmark patterns...
Lorna.rogers
"State Series" by Lois Winston, The Cross Stitcher magazine
In my Vol. 5 No. 6 magazine from 1988, there's a pattern...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Angry bluebird
Does anyone know where I can find a chart For the angry...
josephene_gw
popcorn chart / tatty teddy exchange suzys zoo
i have quite a few popcorn charts and taty teddy charts...
cute
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™