Tangled thread

stitchingbee123September 15, 2013

hi all,
so i'm new to cross stitching but i'm already enjoying it very much. i have one major problem. i am do a very easy pattern in cross stitch and everything in the front of the fabric looks fine but the back of the fabric is a tangled mess as shown in the picture i attached. i have no idea what i'm doing wrong and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SunRaven01

As you stitch, you add a subtle twist to the needle every time it moves through the fabric. This causes the thread to twist, and eventually a twist will fold over on itself. Then you stitch over that, causing a knot.

The fix is two fold: First, let your needle dangle ever 10 stitches or so so the twist drops out of the thread. Second, check the back of your fabric frequently to make sure you're not getting a tangle. I like to hold my fabric so that the thread runs under my finger as I pull through to the top, that way I can feel if a knot forms.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 7:28AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Well said. If you catch it before you make the next stitch, pulling on the loop usually releases the forming knot. If you use flat bobbins to roll thread, that can cause creases/bends in the thread. Those bends are where the knots try to happen. After I load my needle with thread, I moisten my fingers and run them along the thread until it relaxes. Getting rid of those bends should eliminate a lot of the attempted knots.

Is it going too far out on a limb to guess that maybe you like pink?

Bookmark   December 2, 2014 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
Christmas tree
I have finished stitching a modern Christmas tree and...
xstitch1
"State Series" by Lois Winston, The Cross Stitcher magazine
In my Vol. 5 No. 6 magazine from 1988, there's a pattern...
impossible to find?
Hi I just got back from a wonderful trip to Angkor...
nefi
Stitching magazines?
Hi, everyone! I'm looking for recommendations for stitching...
brodyjames_gw
Alternative stitches, besides just x's
Occasionally a magazine will have a project with alternative...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™