Easy craft for 2nd grader

dreedreeMay 18, 2009

Excuse me if this forum is only for experienced crafters, but I am hoping someone would be able to suggest a simple craft that my 7 year old daughter can do. She must make 40 things to "sell" at her school's art fair. (Kindergarteners and 1st graders will have the chance to buy her craft with pretend money.) The only prohibition is that she can't make anything edible (too many children with food allergies.) There cannot be any duplicate ideas among the students, so already I know that bookmarks, door hangers, pens with flowers at the top, almost anything made with beads, origami, snow globes, paper airplanes, and homemade crayons are out. We're late in starting as my daughter was ill for a while and we have a little under 2 weeks to make something. I'm hoping that I won't have to spend a lot of money on this, either, but I'm willing to get supplies for her if we can just find a good project for her to do.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oddie

check out this link has lots of crafts for 2nd graders, I like the lava lamp, 40 of anything is alot for kids to do, hopefully someone will have a project that will work for you and your daughter.
good luck!
oddie

Here is a link that might be useful: crafts for 2nd graders

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 8:37AM
adellabedella_usa

I think Shrinky Dink pens and necklaces might be a good project for her. She could use several different themes such as school mascots, girly stuff or whatever. You could could hot glue pin backs on them or punch a hole with a hole punch before you bake them and then runs ome cording through them for a necklace.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free patterns

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 10:11AM
dreedree

Thank you for the suggestions and the web link!

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 2:53PM
kudzukween

how about bath salts? put about 2 tablespoons of salts into
plastic baggies with the corners cut off, and tie with a ribbon.
I use regular food coloring and perfume sometimes..but you can buy scent at a craft store.

or an oatmeal milk bath recipe that comes with envelopes to print out. I use this oatmeal milk bath all the time!
(you might want to use the corner of baggies for this one,too...

40 seems like an awful lot...

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/homemade-gifts/oatmeal-milk-bath.shtml

how about buy some small disposable cups and some potting soil, and some seeds, and sell some small plants. I helped my grandson make starter pots from toilet paper tubes. We also used Dixie paper cups, the tiny ones. Put at least 3 seeds in each cup.

small magnets....use the flat glass marbles and cut pictures from magazines, like roses or other flowers and glue to the back of the marble;or words; buy some of the sheet magnets to cut and glue to the back of the marble.

Here is a link that might be useful: kudzu's blog

Bookmark   May 20, 2009 at 12:56PM
dreedree

Dear Kidzukween--thank you so much! I like all your ideas!

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 7:56PM
deannabsd

I have seen at craft fairs where they take a used plastic water bottle or pop bottle and fill it with bird seed and then in the bottle they put some objects like a paper clip, golf tee, nut or bolt, etc. and they put a list of what to look for. Kind of like an I Spy type project. I would think you would want to glue the cap on!!!

Also, I can't remember exactly how this went but a friend layered different types of bird seed in a glass jar and called it a bird picnic. She took calico fabric and put it over the lid to be decorative and made a little sign that said bird picnic. I think you then would use it for bird feeders. Good luck and let us know what you do. deanna

Bookmark   May 26, 2009 at 11:37PM
More Discussions
Vinyl armrest repair
The white driver side armrest on my mid-80s GM car...
davestexas
bread bags
I recently went to a craft show and a lady had bread...
oldcrafty
What type of fabric to use to make primitive snowman?
Hi...I have been making snow man door hangers. What...
donnas_gw
Halloween costume for my boobs
Yes I know it's pretty weird but after undergoing breast...
trashywoman
Halloween ideas
Hello, I am looking to do some knitted characters for...
Chrsbt45
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™