Laminating Fabric

judym_2009May 8, 2009

Has anyone taken fabric and laminated it (using a laminating machine) and made it into a placemat? I know that you can laminate documents (paper) and such, but can you laminate fabric? Has anyone done this?

thanks,

Judy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susiewantsroses

I'm wondering if you could just find some clear plastic or frosted plastic placemats from the 99 cent store? You could encase the fabric in two placemats with spray adhesive on the back of the fabric. Then clear glue to glue the edge all the way around the placemat.

Or you could just spray adhesive on a cheap plastic mat and lay material down and fold the edges underneath and glue. Then spray fabric with waterproofing spray.

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 2:36PM
adellabedella_usa

Here is how someone else did it. See if it helps.

I guess as an alternative, you could try stiffening fabric with spray starch and then running it through the laminater. I've never laminated anthing so I'm not sure hoe stiff the fabric would need to be.

Good Luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Placemats

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 3:28PM
jenni_ca

You can buy iron on laminating stuff. It works for fabric or paper. It is easy to use and comes out great.
You can use your laminator for fabric, it isn't any different than laminating paper.

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 1:04PM
concretenprimroses

Big laminating companies will laminate fabric for people. There are web sites, mostly people who make childrens items for sale, where people coordinate to get enough material together to do a run which I believe is 50 yards. It can be many lengths of different fabrics as long as it is sewn togehter to make 50 yards of the same width. I considered joining in on one once which is how I know.
Maybe not useful to anyone here to know this but you never know!
kathy

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 8:10PM
lpaiva_cox_net

Can you also use this type of iron-on laminate to stiffen fabric for jewelery making?

Bookmark   April 10, 2011 at 5:59PM
More Discussions
yarn picture kit
I am looking for a kit that was popular in the 70's...
Terri-57
Beaded Christmas ornaments
Most of the year I am busy making beaded jewelry. But...
tripletmom83
post your april challenge pics here: new growth!
Welcome to the April Challenge! You are challenged...
concretenprimroses
Drying or preserving live flowers....
Having just lost a son, I'd like to be able to preserve...
SunnyDJ
bread bags
I recently went to a craft show and a lady had bread...
oldcrafty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™