Finishing edges

Nixie13June 25, 2004

I need some help, I started in the wrong place on a project, I don't have enough room to frame it so I was wondering if anyone knows a way to attratively finish edges on a project, i don't have a sewing machine or a serger. Please help.

Bernice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kidzrmybiz

Some of my projects I put on a sticky board. (you can get these at most craft stores) You don't need much of an edge because the glue on the board keeps it from fraying and you can have a mat cut any size to hide the edges in the front. Hope this helps.

Bookmark   June 25, 2004 at 6:21PM
Eventine

You can make a pillow out of it (do a search to get instructions). Also, there are several finishing stitches for things like linens that would work well. I'd check a book of embroidery at the library. The one I'm thinking of does a double stitch across, and then a double stitch up and down (the first secures it, the second just adds some decor). Think hardanger stitches--many of these would make very pretty edges. Then finish as a hanger.

Bookmark   June 25, 2004 at 7:15PM
Nixie13

One of the replies reminded me that I forgot to add what kind of fabric I'm working on, it's Adia.

Bookmark   June 25, 2004 at 10:21PM
stitchntime9

As suggested, matting will hide a multitude of sins and give the piece a finished look (have had to do the same thing myself).

I finally learned to: find the center the fabric (fold fabric in fourths and give it a pinch to crease) and then start working from the center of the design outward from the center of the fabric and secondly when the chart or design recommends using a piece of fabric 2 to 3" larger than the design, you had better or you may end up short and have to get real creative.

Bookmark   June 26, 2004 at 6:58AM
marbeth

Sew strips of unbleached muslin on all 4 sides. This adds extra "space" for finishing.

Another option if the above fails is to slip it into a "tuckaway" pillow. Such a pillow is not for kids and dogs to roll around on the floor with, but it's fine for "show." An added benefit: you can change the nwk.
mb

Bookmark   July 8, 2004 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Is counted cross stitch dead in America?
I wanted to post a query here, but I noticed that the...
richard904
patterns of house plants
Does anyone have any of these they are able to share?...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Why are quilts so dynamic while cross-stitch remains boring?
I've been cross-stitching for about 35 years and am...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Newbie needs some help
Hello members. I am your newest participant. My name...
AnyPlan
Angry bluebird
Does anyone know where I can find a chart For the angry...
josephene_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™