Anyone know how to make a cupcake centerpiece?

zshopperApril 3, 2008

My granddaughter's first birthday is approaching and being it will be under a tent my daughter thought a cupcake/garden theme would be great. But I'm not sure how to go about making a cupcake for a centerpiece. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luvstocraft

There are nice cupcake holders that are tier shaped. You can find them at Target, Michael's and Joanne's for around $14.00.

There is also a giant cupcake pan you can use. If you go to the holiday forum, there is a post by Kathleen li with a picture of one she made.

And on one of the Sandra Lee shows, she actually stacked about 10 cupcakes on top of an actual round cake for a centerpiece.

You could also just put together a set of stacked plates and sit your cupcakes on them. Staked plates are sort of like a three tiered cake stand, lots of those on the holiday forum too.

Whatever you do, I'm sure your GD will love it.

Luvs

Bookmark   April 3, 2008 at 7:27PM
jaybird

I use my apple stacker/rack to serve cupcakes....if I want it fancy, I just make a garland of daisies and wind them through the apple stacker before I put the cupcakes in the loops!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 12:02PM
FlamingO in AR

Here are some cute cupcakes to try...

I think you could make a display using a variety of plates and heavy glasses to stack them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Family fun cupcakes....

Bookmark   April 4, 2008 at 12:40PM
luvs2click

Flamingo has the right idea. Just look through your cupboards for glass plates, dessert dishes, glasses, etc. and do some experimental stacking. Only thing is, if there are going to be lots of children running around banging into the table, this is not a good idea! You can also use several different sized flat boxes wrapped in freezer paper and stacked into a tier shape. Sit the cupcakes on the different layers. Might be safer with kids. Sprinkle some flower petals around between the cupcakes. (can be found in the scrapbooking section of craft stores or just tear apart silk flowers). Decorate top of cupcakes with artificial bugs (look at the dollar store), or individual silk flowers or a mixture of both. Sounds fun!
Arlene

Bookmark   April 5, 2008 at 8:30AM
honeysuckleridge

There is a cupcake cake pan available from Wilton(Michael's has it)that could make a for a beautiful centerpiece. Or even a Cupcake shaped Pinanta could work as a centerpiece.
Cupcakes are hot hot hot right now.

good luck and let us know what you decided on, would love to see photos.

ginger

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 8:52AM
FlamingO in AR

Luvs touches on a great point- stability. You could use little dabs of that holding wax to "glue" the glasses and plates together, they sell it in the candle dept at stores to hold tapers upright, also in Christmas shops for use in villages, it's a pliable wax that sticks things together until you pull them apart. It's great stuff- I've had a little container of it for over 15 years and it's still good and useable.

Flower petals are an excellent idea! And so are the plastic bugs. Man, there are some smart and clever people around here.

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 11:03AM
kathleen_li

Zshopper. Luvs emailed and asked I post the pic of the BIG Cupcake by Wilton....This was before it was decorated by my gkids..

Besides the Wilton cupcake stands, Sams Club has one that would suit your purpose, and not too expensive. You can also make ped plates from inexpensive candle holders and plates..

This site has 1000's of cupcakes...good for ideas...
http://contributors.marthastewart.com/portal/index.html?ctrl:id=window.default.ContestWindow&ctrl:type=render&ctrl:windowstate=normal&op=mpics&mmIndex=0amp;user=432789&ccomm=16936&offset=0

Here is a link that might be useful: 1000's of cupcakes

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 7:53PM
zshopper

I cant thank everyone enough for all your expertise in learning how to make cupcake centerpieces. I took everyone's advice and put it in my own creation. I went to Michaels and got scrapbook paper and fanned it for the bottom and put it over a flowerpot (.99) then cut a Styrofoam ball (expensive-4.79) and cut it in half for the cupcake top and made small cupcakes and put it them in with toothpicks. I met a lady in the store and she was telling me how she made her centerpieces. So I took a little advice from everyone. What do you think? sorry for the 2 pictures I cant seem to delete one.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 7:37AM
luvstocraft

That turned out really cute zshopper. Luvs

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 12:42PM
More Discussions
Halloween ideas
Hello, I am looking to do some knitted characters for...
Chrsbt45
Is Petal Porcelain still available ?
Remember it ? Do they still make it ? It was made to...
toomuchglass
Halloween Costume Update
Hi everyone, Some of you may remember me asking where...
moonwolf_gw
Christmas Village
I received a few pieces last x-mas and I didnt do a...
christine1950
Is there a product?
that you can design specific lettering graphics on...
pixistix
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™