Fabric Scrap Ideas

spinartApril 17, 2009

I have tons of nice upholstery sample books. Some fabric swatches are 6 x 6 and some larger. Suggestions on what I can do with these fabrics? I'm not an expert, but I can sew a straight line!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

I have seen a book/books at Barnes & Noble or Joanns with ideas for using scraps. Check in the Quilting section also. Just google fabric scraps also.

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 4:06PM
adellabedella_usa

Would they make a nice quilt?

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 4:36PM
leveta

A fabric garlin...

Bookmark   April 17, 2009 at 6:34PM
barbaratx

little zippered cases to hold small things that get lost in the bottom of your purse. I have one and put my lip balm, nail file, aspirin, etc., purse sized tissue cases, paperback book cover, coasters, table runners, hot pads.

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 9:19AM
susiewantsroses

They can be pieced together (sewing straight lines) to make cusions for your porch, bed,ect. Pick all of the colors that match your kitchen and make a patch work table cloth and dont forget napkins. I made a mattress cover using scraps. Placemats for the table. Pot holders, aprons, vallances for windows. Table runners. Rip them up and make a rag rug. Donate leftovers to a nursing home that has a quilting club. Baby quilts, recover small lamp shades. Tea Pot cozys. Cover Books. Christmas stockings. Lawn furniture covers. Have fun!!!!! susie

Bookmark   April 19, 2009 at 2:41PM
amberscu

My husband's grandmother made a purse. She took 1 piece and sewed it together on 3 sides. She then sewed on a silk cord as a strap. Then she put velcro at the top to keep it closed. She uses it as a purse to carry around her license and few dollars when she goes on cruises so she doesn't have to carry her whole purse. They turned out really cute.

Bookmark   April 21, 2009 at 12:29AM
clarosietoo

Wow, I wish I had some samples. I want to make a carrying case for my iPhone. Upholstery fabric is just the perfect weight for what I have in mind.

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 9:00AM
susiewantsroses

clarosietoo- go to an upholstry shop and see if they have any discontinued sample books. They may toss them or sell them. I bought mine at a Good Will. I use to get out of date wallpaper books from Sherwinn Williams.

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 2:52PM
kudzukween

I bought some tapestry table runners so I could make jewelry pouches and travel pouches.... those drawstring bags lined with satin or velvet in my case. The upholstery samples probably won't need that lining.

I'd love to make a paperback cover!
Bible covers are popular..

Mix up with some denim and make a purse. Sew a few together and make a belt..

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?
Will baked potato bags burn in the microwave? I use...
cooper9191
How to decorate christmas tree, beads ribbons etc
I am trying to decide how to decorate my tree this...
L A
jewelry wire for Christmas dangle ornament?
I can only find a couple of tutorials on the web and...
wilsonkaye
What type of fabric to use to make primitive snowman?
Hi...I have been making snow man door hangers. What...
donnas_gw
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™