Using pre-cooked blue mussels - heating time?

netlaJanuary 25, 2014

I hope you guys can help me. I was given two packs of pre-cooked blue mussels in the shell and I'm thinking about adding some to a seafood dish I plan to make for lunch tomorrow. I don't want the mussels to get all rubbery through overcooking, but there are no instructions on how long they should be heated to get them warmed through, so I though I would ask here. The shells range from about 2 to 3 inches in length and I will thaw them before I use them. I'm thinking maybe a couple of minutes would be about right, but I want to be sure. What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caliloo

Personally, I might just use them thawed in a seafood salad sort of thing, I would be worried about them getting rubbery too.

I guess you could put them in a steamer basket and just keep checking to see if they are warm....

Alexa

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 9:00AM
jimster

Mussels don't get so tough from cooking as clams. I don't think you have to worry much about that. I'm thinking maybe 5 minutes or so starting from cold would be about right, but keep an eye on them and use your judgement.

Jim

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 11:31AM
Olychick

I agree. Mussels don't easily get rubbery - I am lucky to have a source of fresh mussels whenever I want and cook them often, so I cook extras and use them in a pasta dish the next day. I'd add them when the rest of your dish is hot and bring it back to temperature and they'll be heated through and still tender.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 12:44PM
dcarch7

I would assume pre-cooked clams or mussels are already overcooked. So you can't overcook overcooked mussels.

May be just pick a couple and boil them and see what happens.

dcarch

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 1:00PM
foodonastump

As a point of reference, the instrux on a box of frozen mussels in garlic butter sauce says cook from frozen, 4-5 minutes then simmer 2-3 minutes.

What are you planning to make? If a seafood stew or similar I'd add them at the end, off the heat or on extremely low heat (below simmer), and try one every minute or so until they seem just heated through but not super hot.

p.s. Netla, am I correct that we haven't seen you here in quite a while? If so, welcome back!

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 1:48PM
netla

Thanks, Foodonastump. I've mostly been lurking for the last couple of years.

The dish is baby potatoes and langoustines fried in butter with garlic and onions. I figured it would be interesting to add some mussels and a little white wine for variety.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
Favorite pies?
My son attends NERD school; Kidding! They are a bunch...
rob333
Easter Sunday Dessert
My favorite dessert is a good home-made pound cake....
Robert Givens
More Sourdough Discard & Baker's Kaffeeklatsch
We left off at Troisième I haven't had time and...
plllog
Workday Goodies
Hi everyone, Tomorrow's workday treats will be Roast...
moonwolf_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™