Need military craft ideas

BeadaApril 15, 2007

Well, it's time to start thinking of ideas for camp again! Seems like I never get here otherwise. (sigh) This year's theme is "Boot Camp." It is for girls in 2nd -6th grades and I have an hour 4 days a week for crafts. So far, I have come up with the following possibilities: Stamping on Dog Tags from Oriental Trading Co., making stationery, making greeting cards to send to troops (and then actually sending them, decorating canteens of some sort, and decorating cardboard binoculars from Hands On Fun. Does anyone have any other ideas that are military related that girls might enjoy doing? I'm having trouble coming up with ideas this year. I try to keep expenses under $300 for the week and there are up to 100 girls who come. We always do a picture frame and take pics of the cabin groups to put into them. I do think I have that covered fairly inexpensively. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craftylady-2006

For Memorial Day coming up - how about a 4 X 4 piece of styofoam, about an inch thick or so, covered in green tissue paper, using sewing pins to secure it either on the sides or underneath and then sticking a small USA Flag on a stick in the styofoam and covering the base with glued on flowers. You can get several types of faux floral bouquets at Walmart for about $1 a piece and pull the separate flowers off each stem - or using wire cutters, cut the separate flowers/buds off with some of the stem still on it for easy insertion into the tissue paper covered styrofoam. Maybe add a small round tag and/or small rectangular shipping label (get them at Walmart or Staples office supply store) with words written on it - "We Will Always Remember" - "We Will Never Forget" on one side and "Thank You" on the back using red and blue markers. Tie the tag onto the flag stick or tie it to a separate floral pick and insert it into the styrofoam. Maybe a Star colored in red or blue on one side of the tag.

Sal

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 5:44PM
adellabedella_usa

I just ran across these patriotic ideas. You could make some of the Christmas ornaments or other things and donate them for the soldiers and their families at Christmas. There is one section on patriotic crafts, but some of the others especially anything with beads such as the tri-bead ornaments, pony bead Christmas ornaments, and beaded pipe cleaner ornaments could be modified with red, white, and blue beads.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas ornaments

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 9:48PM
adellabedella_usa

I just ran across another inexpensive ornament idea that I think you could easily convert into a red, white, and blue gift. Check out the mini candy wreath ornament. You could switch the ribbons to red, white, and blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ornament ideas

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 11:33AM
surfergal

cute scout crafts at making friends too

First Aid /survivor Pouches, Water Bottle Holder, hiking necklace

see below link and
http://www.makingfriends.com/scouts/scout_safety.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: First Aid /survivor Pouches, Water Bottle Holder, hiking necklace

Bookmark   April 29, 2007 at 2:52PM
sharoncrafts

As a member of Soldiers' Angels, I can tell you that our hero's would love mail from home. You could have them make the stationery and then write a letter to a hero.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soldiers Angels

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 6:54PM
sharoncrafts

Here is a site for purchasing paper flags and instructions on the correct way to fold our American Flag. These could be sent inside the envelopes with the letters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pocket Flag

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 7:01PM
oakleif

I think writing to a soldier is the best idea. It is not only good for the soldier but also the idea of helping someone else for the girls.
vickie

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 2:50AM
More Discussions
How to decorate christmas tree, beads ribbons etc
I am trying to decide how to decorate my tree this...
L A
Halloween costume for my boobs
Yes I know it's pretty weird but after undergoing breast...
trashywoman
Thinking of learning decoupage....
........but some questions are stopping me. 1. Must...
pink_warm_mama_1
Wooden cutouts
This crazy but I am looking for a Texas tech university...
lholton2
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™