Don Gardner Southerland or Arbordale Plan

moonlily12November 28, 2009

Hi -

I'm so excited to have found this forum! I've been trying to work on our house plan all by myself for almost a year! We are building The Southerland/Arbordale plan by Don Gardner. I merged the two plans together because I liked certain aspects of both plans! We purchased the Arbordale plan but had to shrink the house to fit on our lot, so the inside has a bunch of elements from the Southerland plan.

Has anyone else built one of these plans? If so, do you have any advice about things you changed or didn't like about the plans once you built the house? Also, does anyone have any photos of either of these floor plans?

Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gopintos

Welcome and glad you found the forum also. I know it has helped me tremendously.

I am building a hybrid of the Southerland & the Brentwood. And even at framing, still made some decisions of moving a wall here or there.....

I love everything we have done so far but we are far from finished. I know someone here has built the Brentwood, so you might search for that and get some inspiration also.

Best of luck to you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Build in Pictures

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 9:38AM
moonlily12

wow-what a great website! I love the idea of keeping everything recorded online to share with friends and family...I think I'm going to steal your idea :) We live in Florida but a lot of our family is in Maryland so the site will make it easier to share the progress with them.

I love, love, love your house! That's exactly how I want our house to look with the big porch on the front. How exciting to see it all come together. We just cleared our land and now we're in the process of getting a construction loan...but I'm super excited to see it all in process. It's so hard to visualize everything from just a floor plan! I wish there was a model home that could tour :)

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 9:42AM
tinker_2006

We built the Southerland too.. a beautiful home! We only lived in it for 6 months.. and sold it (2 yrs on the market!)

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 2:21PM
tinker_2006

here is the link to the virtual tour the Realtor had (home is now sold)

http://www.visualtour.com/applets/vt_viewer/skin_30/vt4_ie_l.asp?t=1139053&ismac=False

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 2:25PM
kramerkel

Hello,
We are almost finished with our build of the Southerland.
We took out the french doors in the front. We extended the back porch on each end and pushed it out 2 more feet. We lengthened the garage. We also took out the doorway into the kitchen that was in front of the stairs.
We absolutely love it!!!
Good luck on your build. I am attaching the link of our forum for you to see our process.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg1000383516250.html?22

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
What are you doing for your security system?
I know that's an extra cost, but I was curious as to...
aimless07
help me choose our floors
We have 2 options for our floors - white oak (longer...
3ilovepie
Sending my floor plan modifications to the architect. Ideas?
I have to have all my structural changes decided by...
houserookie
Finished basement infloor heat in MN
We are working to trim back costs on our upcoming build....
Mini Soda
Is the 'remote' home office worth it?
We need an office for DH that is away from the day-to-day...
edwardshome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™