Windchimes for mother's day

forensicmomMarch 4, 2011

I run the Sunday School at my church and our kids will be making different crafts for Mother's Day. I like each class to make something different, depending on the age group.

The older class I want to have them make windchimes. REAL windchimes, not the cheap kits. I know I can buy copper or aluminum pipes at Home Depot but does anyone know if I can buy them already cut and drilled? I only have 5 students in this class, so I won't need too many pieces.

I would also like another class to make birdhouses but I've only seen the plain unfinished ones at the craft stores and they don't hold up outside. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adellabedella_usa

Check out Amazon or Lowes for the birdhouse kits.

Do you have a Dollar Tree? You could probably buy some ready made wind chimes, disassemble them and just use the chime part for your project. That may sound like it defeats the the purpose, but it would work.

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 2:52PM
marie_ndcal

For wind chimes it may not be the material but the length of each one. I just googled--making wind chimes and before you buy anything do that. It even tells you how to use old silverware and one of the posting tells you how to determine the tones. That is very important.
As to bird houses, you might do the same. Or contact your local Bird Association--Audubon Society, or get some back issues on Birds and Blooms magazines. The simpler the better
Good luck
Marie

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 5:37PM
marie_ndcal

Just a thought, before you do these two projects find out from some of the parents if they have the place for them and really want them. Sometimes wind chimes are too noisy for the area etc. I would discuss it with some of the others Some parents don't want bird houses also. That is why alot of the school projects are inside like flower pots etc. note holders, and you can google sunday school projects.

Bookmark   March 5, 2011 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
Town Fair Vent
So yesterday I set up some jewelry I make, which I...
sameboat
Halloween ideas
Hello, I am looking to do some knitted characters for...
Chrsbt45
jewelry wire for Christmas dangle ornament?
I can only find a couple of tutorials on the web and...
wilsonkaye
wind spinner patterns
does anyone have patterns for the old time wind spinners...
parker806
Carnival glass weather resistant?
I asked this question on the garden junk forum and...
laurastheme
Sponsored Products
Woodstock Dharma 28 Inch Cowbell - DB
$28.05 | Hayneedle
Smoke Teardrop Ring with Teardrop Crystals Wind Chime - 11028
$30.99 | Hayneedle
Carson 35 in. Stained Glass Sonnet Moments Wind Chime - 60378
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Woodstock 27 in. Tuscany Wind Chime - CTS
$38.25 | Hayneedle
Woodstock Butterfly 21 Inch Wind Chime - CBC
$29.99 | Hayneedle