Getting the "new house smell" out

wishiwasinozNovember 17, 2013

I would like to rid our new home as much as possible of all the VOCs before we move in. Other than having the windows & doors open as much as possible, are there any other suggestions? Once in, I will try to add as many VOC cleansing plants as I can. We only have carpet in 2 bedrooms & that will be steam cleaned before we are in. I will also clean out all the new cabinetry & let it ventilate.

Is there anything else I am missing? Should I run the A/C hard for awhile? We have 5" filters - do I change those out frequently for the first few months?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ChrisStewart

I suppose the best thing would be to exchange the air with fresh air as much as possible. Open all the windows, the cabinets, run fans to move the air, etc.. Warmer temperatures will be more effective than cooler temperatures. I suppose you could rent extra fans to force more air through the house.

But some materials will off gas over a very long period of time.

I do not know that ordinary AC filters will help much with anything but dust. HEPA filters are better. New houses are very dusty so you may need to change filters faster.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 11:29AM
lori_inthenw_gw

Filters won't help with fumes from adhesives, etc. Probably just time and air exchanges. But I don't think you can "speed up" the time as it has to do with how the chemicals cure. Just try not to trap them in the house.

Bookmark   November 19, 2013 at 12:42PM
Brian_Knight

Oh boy.. You are concerned with Indoor Air Quality but didnt install a mechanical ventilation system that meets the ASHRAE 62.2 standard?

I would recommend you look into adding such a system that will provide you some outdoor air, even after the smell has gone away.

In the meantime, keep windows open as much as possible. Heat and moving air should help speed things up.

Bookmark   November 20, 2013 at 9:25PM
lazy_gardens

If you have a heat-exchanging ventilator ... run it.

But running the AC will not be as effective as opening windows and exchanging the air.

Bookmark   November 21, 2013 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Purchasing Items during build?
For those who have gone through the building process...
njbuilding143
Sending my floor plan modifications to the architect. Ideas?
I have to have all my structural changes decided by...
houserookie
Inexpensive "build on your lot" builders?
I've been researching local builders online and came...
olivesmom
Don Gardner Callaway Plan - anyone have pictures
My wife and I are considering building the Don Gardner...
Scott Carson
Savings - basement bar with laminate
Working on finding ways to get closer to our original...
Mini Soda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™