USB cable problem

davestexasDecember 8, 2012

Hello
Recently I bought a new home weather station to replace an old one that sensors are not made for anymore.
New station came with a 4' long USB cable. It is way too short, so I bought a USB cable extension. It does not work. The 4' cable has has a mini connector to the console and a PC connector. 4" from each connector is some sort of 'fitting' the cable runs through. The guy at the electronic store said the extension cable should work ok....it does not and I'm wondering what those fittings are for and if that is the problem/why the extension doesn't communicate? The fitting look like a choke or maybe a capacitor...I don't know tho.
Any ideas would be great! The manufacturer of the station does not show any USB cables being sold at their website, so I'm kinda at a loss. I can't rearrange anything to make the short cord work due to sight and space available.
Thanks for any help

Dave

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PKponder TX

It's probably a ferrite bead used to suppress electronic noise. I'm not an electrical genius but I understand that it offers 'electrical noise' protection to either the computer or the weather station and is likely a good thing to have. Did you try one of the USB ports on the back of your computer? I understand those to transmit more power than the ones on front. Another thought would be to try connecting without the extension first in case there is some sort of 'device discovery' that needs to take place. If that is successful, maybe try the extension. It could also just be a bad extension, did you try it with another device?

Best of luck!

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 10:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davestexas

I'd argue the notion of you not being a genius. Used the rear USB port, then plugged the short cord into the extension. Voila!
I appreciate the help, thanks!
Dave

Bookmark   December 8, 2012 at 11:07PM
More Discussions
switching mouse button
I'm using the mouse with my left hand and can't get...
Snomam
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
abreeze
Turning of/on touch pad on laptop
For reasons I can not determine my Gateway NE71B W8...
jerry_nj
setting defaults in Win8.1??
I was attempting to email a photo and it get this message...
carolssis
Firefox too much security? frequent blocking
I continue to have problems with Firefox blocking and...
jerry_nj
Sponsored Products
Aspects Under Cabinet Lighting Xenon 3-Light 18 in. White Under Cabinet Light
$68.34 | Home Depot
Cashmere Cable-Knit Blanket - POLO NAVY
$599.90 | Horchow
BDI | Mirageā„¢ Home Theater Cabinet 8227-2
YLiving.com
Alabster Rocks! 18-Inch Bowl Pendant with Tapered Clips
$440.00 | Bellacor
Louis Poulsen | Collage Pendant
$998.00 | YLighting