Removing Candles

lovestoquiltMarch 3, 2006

Anyone have a way to remove the last bit of candle from the bottom of a jar? I have saved 4 candle jars with different shapes and lids. I want to use them for flowers or candy...something. I soak the jars in hot water in the sink but didn't melt it enough to dig out. Microwave would be great except they have a metal wick plate on the bottom.

Thanks,

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luv2cre8

Karen,
I've heard of putting them in the freezer. It's suppose to make them "pop" out easier.

Good Luck!!
Dannie

    Bookmark   March 3, 2006 at 1:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foggyj

I heard the freezer solution too.

just a hint (from Martha) put a little bit of water (1/2 inch?) in bottom of container. Add to it if it starts to dry out before all the candles has burned. No more stuck candles.

    Bookmark   March 3, 2006 at 2:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terri_pacnw

How much wax is left? Can you pry out the wick tab?
If you can get it out with using a butter knife, then you can micro it.
However if you can't get it out, simmer the candle in a saucepan of water, to melt the wax. Pour the wax into an old tin or soda can to cool and toss in the trash.
Wipe out as much melted wax as you can, then use soap and water.
It may take a few warmings in the simmering water if it's paraffin wax though, to get all the residue out.

    Bookmark   March 3, 2006 at 11:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
williamsburgjane

I have used the freezer method on mine. 9 out of 10 candles will pop right out. The one I had trouble with is a container (square) that I bought where the candle had been made in the glass jar. Will not pop out. :o(

    Bookmark   March 4, 2006 at 3:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crafty12b

You may want to try a blow dryer and just keep wiping it out with papertowels. crafty12b

    Bookmark   March 4, 2006 at 9:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terri_pacnw

If you have a heat gun that's better.
You can "burn out" a blow dryer doing stuff like that.
Ask me how I know.
I'd still use the pot and simmering water method.

    Bookmark   March 4, 2006 at 10:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cathytx3

Karen:

Here's what I do. I have an old cookie sheet that I use just for this. I put a bunch of layers of newspaper on it. I then take the container(s)and turn them upside down in the middle of the cookie sheet on top of the newspaper. Turn the oven on low for about 20 minutes. I then use pot holders to pick the container(s)up and wipe them out with paper towels. Works every time. Try it!!

Cathy

    Bookmark   March 14, 2006 at 1:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wantoretire_did

Freezer for a few days works for me. Just remember to pop them out using a hand towel, in case the glass might break. It never has for me, but I'm careful. If it doesn't pop out, nudge it with the point of a paring knife.

Carol

    Bookmark   March 22, 2006 at 6:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
candlelady_2006

I understand what you say about having the wax stuck all over your candle holder. Have you considered changing the brand of candles that you are burning? Candles made with paraffin and other chemicals not only stick to the holders but also emit harmful soot and other ingredients into the air that you breathe. Have you ever burned a Mia Bella candle? They are made with all natural ingredients and will not stick to the holders. Any residue left from the candle can be easily removed with hot soapy water!! The link to these all natural scented candles can be found below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scent-A-Licious Candle Co.

    Bookmark   April 1, 2006 at 2:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

I hope cathytx has an electric oven, wouldn't put newspapers or wax in a gas oven even on lowest unless I had already turned it off. Just don't want anyone getting hurt!! Oh with xmas baking coming up I want to tell you to keep wax paper long ways away from burners. I finished packing my cookies & left the wax paper on counter as was going to frost some other ones. But needed to boil some water. Wax paper was a least 8 in. from flame, well it shot over to the flame & flames shot up to hood I dumped over water I was going to boil to get it out. That was very scarey. It shoots flames up like a torch. wax paper just "flew" over to the flame. I could not believe that that could happen so now you know too!! I had had wax paper that close before & nothing happened for 40 yrs. Electric stove might also "attract" the wax paper! Jan

    Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 12:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carol_from_ny

I had some this past summer I wanted to remove candles from. I simply took them outside turned them upside down with newspaper underneath and let them sit in the sun. The left over candle bit fell right out and there was very little to wipe out.

    Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 4:00PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Christmas Village
I received a few pieces last x-mas and I didnt do a...
christine1950
Is Petal Porcelain still available ?
Remember it ? Do they still make it ? It was made to...
toomuchglass
Thinking of learning decoupage....
........but some questions are stopping me. 1. Must...
pink_warm_mama_1
Halloween costume for my boobs
Yes I know it's pretty weird but after undergoing breast...
trashywoman
Halloween Costume Update
Hi everyone, Some of you may remember me asking where...
moonwolf_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™