BS RCS discontinued - help, please

yeboNovember 7, 2011

After much thinking and help from forum members, I decided the 30' RCS was right for me - not quite so high-powered but open burners, better price. Now designer and appliance dealer tell me it is discontinued.... I don't want a CC.

Any ideas (other than Canada Costco, which doesn't ship) where I might find a stray surviving RCS?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ratflinger

Call every dealer listed for BS. Bet there are some floor models somewhere.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 12:27AM
Angie_DIY

I would verify that information with Bluestar if I were you. The RCS is still listed on Bluestar's website, and on the websites of many e-tailers. My dealer recently (about 2 weeks ago) contacted Bluestar to get me a price on upgrading the 15k burners to 18k; he got me a price, and no mention was made of discontinuation.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 12:28PM
yebo

Angie_DIY or anyone else,
Great idea to contact BS but on their contact us page http://www.bluestarcooking.com/bluestar-contact-info.html, I don't see a link for emails on product availability - Custormer Service has link for retailer list and one for product FAQs, nothng for info or the like.
If you have another link that might lead to a response to the RCS availability question, I'd really appreciate your posting it.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 9:27PM
Angie_DIY

Right on that page, it says:

BlueStar
600 Arlington Street
Reading, PA 19611
Telephone: 610.376.7479
Fax: 610.376.2596

Give 'em a call!

Also, another idea from a GW thread: (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0500153130203.html)

Try emailing Mandy at Bluestar. (mlopez@bluestarcooking.com)
She's been great with helping customers reslove problems.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 11:43PM
SwimMomRuns

Just met with a Bluestar rep last Saturday at a large appliance store near Chicago. He discussed,at length, the RNB and RCS models. No mention of RCS being discontinued at all.

Bookmark   November 8, 2011 at 11:56PM
SwimMomRuns

May I ask why you don't want a CC? Assume too much power if that is why you want the RCS over RNB. I'm still between BS & CC.

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 12:02AM
yebo

You are great! My old boss used to say, "When all else fails, read the directions" -- I guess I remembered the quote but not the snese of it.

I decided on the RCS because I wanted open burners (have been using a Wolf restaurant range that my place came with, so am used to the open burner thing. But I live in NYC and the building forbids external venting, so I must get a recirculating "vent". In addition to the price, the heat/vent thing seemed more manageable. Too, I don't think I'll use the RNB's power, so why pay for it?

Really, thank you.

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 7:12AM
Caddidaddy55

There is a new 36" RCS on Minneapolis Craigslist, new in box year end closeout $3600. I believe this is a dealer so it should have a warrenty.

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 8:12AM
Angie_DIY

May I ask why you don't want a CC? Assume too much power if that is why you want the RCS over RNB. I'm still between BS & CC.

Swim, I know that question wasn't directed at me, but I'll chime in anyway. I was quoted $2550 for a 30" RCS and $4290 for the RNB. Upgrading the burners on the RCS from 15k BTU/hr to 18k is $200 per burner, and upgrading them from 18k to 22k is free. I plan to upgrade two burners, resulting in two 22k, one 15k, one simmer, which should cost just under $3,000. This saves me $1300 over the RNB, and all I really give up is the convection oven. (I probably could put that it myself, too, if I felt it was important enough; they sell the fan on their parts list.) The RCS is just flat-out a good deal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hotrodding an 18k RCS

Bookmark   November 9, 2011 at 11:48AM
SwimMomRuns

Thank you, Angie. Interesting point you made. My husband likes to "tinker.". He asked the BS rep (visiting showroom) what prevents him from a DIY switch to the 22k burners on the RCS. The rep's response was that they don't recommend it...but, it could be done. I'll show him the link you provided.

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 1:14AM
Angie_DIY

He would probably also want to see this video that Mojavean posted, showing how to do this step-by-step.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mojovean's hotrod video

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 1:27AM
yebo

RCS is still being made, according to Mandy @ BS and a dealer who was recommended. Thank you, Forum members!
Maybe dealers who aren't selling it any more are saying that it's discontinued.

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 12:22PM
tyguy

What a Donkey. Probably doesn't make as much profit on an RCS so he figures that lying is the better route.

Bookmark   November 10, 2011 at 6:17PM
More Discussions
Coffee Machines
What is the best built in coffee machine for your buck?...
J Saleh
Difference between advantium and convection microwave
I had almost decided on the ge advantium (monogram)...
athensmomof3
Thermador micro drawer - is it worth it?
http://www.thermador.com/cooking/microwaves/md24js-24-inch-builtin-microdrawer Hey...
bellachaboni
Dishwasher drawer...who has one?
Do you like it? Any info appreciated.
jtaime2
Can a Whirpool wrs342fiab00 Refrigerator use water filter bypass ?
I have an undersink filter connected to this fridge,...
edge
Sponsored Products
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Unbranded Sidewinder 54 in. Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan HD28
Home Depot
Arteriors Home - Edaline Lamp - 44105-272
Great Furniture Deal
Campania International Goldie The Goldfish Cast Stone Garden Statue - A-442-AL
$214.99 | Hayneedle
Kora Fireplace Screen - GOLD
$350.00 | Horchow
MissoniHome Rug Collection - Kaizen
| Italy Design
Ultra Soft/ Heavyweight German Flannel 3-piece Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™