electrolux oven won't work at all

deniselieNovember 30, 2012

I thought it was because of a recent power surge, but checked circuit breaker and nothing is happening. No lights, nothing. Dead. It is barely 2 yrs old. This is a wall, built in oven. Any ideas anyone ? I'm so not happy !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

It could well be from the power surge. If flipping the breaker doesn't get it to work then it's probably dead.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 12:09AM
deniselie

I didn't know a power surge could 'kill' an appliance. Why would that happen ? Do I have any recourse with the manufacturer ? We get power surges often, how can I avoid this problem in the future?

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 1:29PM
weissman

Power surges can definitely kill appliances, computers, TVs, etc. by burning out the electronics. People use surge protectors - sometimes power strips that you plug computers, TVs, etc. into. For major appliances, you can get a whole house surge protector. It's possible that it's just a blown fuse in your oven but unless you're very handy, you'll need a service call to determine that. It's also possible for them to replace a burned out control board. It's unlikely that you'll have any recourse with the manufacturer if it was caused by a power surge. It's possible you homeowner's insurance might cover it - but be careful about putting in a relatively small claim - they could raise your premium or refuse to renew your policy.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 2:01PM
llaatt22

Presumably the wall oven is on its own exclusive circuit breaker so placing the breaker
in the off position when the oven is not in use would offer very good protection.

Unfortunately, when you "go commercial" there are complications, like needing 3 phase power to run the appliances.
Anna Olson had to pay for the installation of a pricey new power line to her house from the nearest 3 phase source to get her ovens up and running.
Guess it would be a business expense in her case written off over time, but payment is still up front.

Here is a link that might be useful: Anna Olson's Oven

This post was edited by laat2 on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 15:07

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 2:34PM
deniselie

Thank you so much Weissman, for your input. I will have to call a tech--again. He just went over everything a couple of months ago when I complained 'loudly' about uneven heating.
Thanks also laat2 for the advice. It's good !!

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
Vent hood, Broan, Vent a Hood, Zephyr, or Kobe
I am looking for a 36'' under cabinet hood for a 36''...
abick2
New cooktop slightly smaller than old cutout in granite
I have a 36 " gas cooktop in my granite countertop...
chirs1
need help - with Miele DW and Ikea Sektion panel
Hi All, Getting a Sektion kitchen. I want a Miele...
Kathy Rohde
54" Zephyr Monsoon II vs. Best by Broan 54" Potenza - Clear Winner??
GW, Ahhh - my favorite place to be the past 12 months...
Andrew K.
Bluestar platinum vs Capital Culinarian
We are deciding on kitchen appliances for our upgrade...
malba2366
Sponsored Products
Electrolux Stainless Over-the-Range Microwave
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™