Desktop problen

arkie62December 3, 2011

Any idea of what's causing the cover-up of the programs icon on my desktop? I've run Malwarebytes, and Avast,restored as far back as it will let me and done most everything I found in a Google search. Nothing seams to work.

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zep516

paint shop pro.exe is used by 'Paint Shop Pro 8'. Do you use that program?

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 8:50PM
arkie62

YES, BUT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE QUESTION. Sorry, wasn't really shouting, just hit the cap lock. The problem is that the white desktop looking icon is covering up the program initialized icon. The program has nothing to do with the problem.

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 9:41PM
zep516

I don't know it's kind of weird. Can you drag the Icon Left click on the icon and hold and move the mouse..

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 10:02PM
owbist

Try right clicking on the desktop, then hover over 'Sort by' then selecting a different layout of the icons to see if that does the trick. It is easy to switch back after investigating the problem.

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 10:08PM
mikie_gw

maybe Right Click & choose Properties
of your psp there. Then copy paste the shortcut Target path here.

Or just print screen and post a link to the whole properties window here.

example below....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://prntscr.com/4erib

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 10:52PM
arkie62

Tried both suggestions with no results. I can left click (hold down) and drag it all over the desktop, but the overlay is still on top. I can pin the shortcut to the taskbar and only the program icon shows. In the 20 years I've been messing around with computers (Commador 64), this is about as weird as anything I've encountered. I'll keep researching this, but if any of you come up with more ideas I'de be more than happy to try anything.
Thanks

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 10:56PM
arkie62

Here's what I got mikie. Don't know how this may help, but I'm up for anything at this point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Properties

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 11:20PM
DA_Mccoy

How about deleting the icon(s) and creating a new one from the START menu? Deleting the icon(s) and creating a new one directly from the .exe file in the Program Folder?

On the Properties tab , did you try to change the icon? And then perhaps change it back?

DA

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 8:51AM
mikie_gw

I'd hoped to see the beginning of the path. allthingB4 \Progam Files\etc.. to see if something starts directly before \Program Files\...

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 9:12AM
arkie62

Sorry mikie, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Jasc Software Inc\Paint Shop Pro 8\Paint Shop Pro.exe" that's all there is.

dmccoy, the image in the first post is the result of what you suggest. I was sure hoping that would work too.

I spent about two hours last night following various leads, all to no avail. Gonna' start over this morning. If/when I find a solution, you dear friends will be the second to know. :-)

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 1:21PM
DA_Mccoy

What O/S are you using? I did a basic Google search using the keywords "corrupt desktop icon" (sans quotes). A quick review of the responses shows numerous results for W7. Regardless of your O/S this might be an additional approach.

DA

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 1:43PM
zep516

Also you might try uninstalling the program and reinstall it from the link provided,

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint-Shop-Pro

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 1:55PM
arkie62

dmccoy, W7 Ultimate and I'll try that search and see if it comes up with anything new.

zep16, thanks, but it has nothing to do with Paintshop Pro, that just happened to be the program I was creating a desktop shortcut for. It does the same icon overlay thing on any shortcut I create.

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 2:03PM
arkie62

Don't really know how the problem got solved any more than I know how it started. I fired up an old program I had forgotten I had (Yamicsoft Windows7 Manager) , ran a couple of cleanup apps with it, re-booted, and everything was back to normal. Ahh, computers...

Thanks again for all the suggestions and opinions. I can always depend on this group for good ideas.

By the way, for those of you that haven't reached it yet, senility isn't as much fun as I had hoped for. :-)

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 12:34PM
mxyplx

>>By the way, for those of you that haven't reached it yet, senility isn't as much fun as I had hoped for. :-)Ah, but it just might provide blessed relief from all problems. :-)

Bookmark   December 6, 2011 at 7:28PM
More Discussions
'Unnetworking' a computer
Trying to help a friend with his Vista computer. Something...
jane__ny
Help with color on my images
I take pictures and on my camera they are a good color...
berk
MacBook--Image Frozen on Screen
Anyone know what this means? (or how to rotate the...
Nasty popup screen
I am constantly getting a 3 by 4 inch video popup screen...
paulsmth2
Need help, I am confused
I think I have a huge problem. When I restart my computer...
Patricia Kuehne
Sponsored Products
White and Silver Metal 60-inch Office Desk
Overstock.com
Decorative Desk Organizer
$11.99 | Dot & Bo
Westinghouse Lighting Shades 3-1/4 in. Handblown Green with White Interior
$19.97 | Home Depot
Parker House - Barcelona 7 Piece Open Bookcase with Corner Desk...
Great Furniture Deal
Authentic Models Desktop Fokker Triplane
Classic Hostess
Greenville Banker Desk Lamp
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Ford Executive Desk with Cabinet - Light Wood
Zuri Furniture
'Dream Be Create' Paperweight
$7.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™