ISO: Leather

Proud2BAGrannyMarch 19, 2012

I am looking for a leather supplier online. At a reasonable price. Does anyone know of such a place? THANX

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandma_bonnie

My mother used to always order from Tandy - google it - you can order online or go to a local store...

Bookmark   April 11, 2012 at 6:53PM
aquawise

Tandy and The Leather Factory have combined as one store. They have lots of leather. What are you using it for? I am a leather carver and other leather thing. Maybe I can help you out.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 11:59PM
Proud2BAGranny

thanks Gramma bonnie and aquawise. I am using it to make journals, among other things. I did find some on Ebay, and also checked out a few goodwill stores for leather items that I can recycle........found lots of leather there, and much less inexpensive than buying leather online, and the best part is, some of it is already aged for me..and I also get a lot more varieties of leather, so that works out good for me
Now, is there a secret to sewing leather on a sewing machine? LOL THX

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 6:58AM
evaf555

Seriously? Is your machine a commercial one, or a home machine?

I am a professional and I would not routinely sew leather on a domestic (home use) machine. Many retailers over-promise what a sewing machine will do. The type of sewing machine you should be using will have an on-off switch on the heavy, metal-legged table in which it sits, and the foot pedal is a wide one that engages a clutch motor.

I suspect the motor of a domestic machine will burn out rather quickly sewing leather.

Use a Teflon foot.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 6:33PM
nanny98

A little late, maybe, but you can find 'leather' sewing needles in fabric/craft stores. It does depend on the machine and how thick the leather is. My ancient Elna sews leather o.k., but I do not push it or force it.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 6:09PM
More Discussions
yooooo - hooooo
Merry Christmas everyone. Miss the old days at this...
grandma_bonnie
old - old - old crafts
Boy - looking at that Pack O Fun magazine got me thinking...
toomuchglass
Hair Jewelry/Headpiece Questions
Hi everyone, This year, I will be attempting once again...
moonwolf_gw
Beaded Christmas ornaments
Most of the year I am busy making beaded jewelry. But...
tripletmom83
Drying or preserving live flowers....
Having just lost a son, I'd like to be able to preserve...
SunnyDJ
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™