New computer...what order to do some "prep work"

debo_2006December 4, 2012

I just bought a Dell desktop with Windows 8 pre-installed. Before using the computer for anything, I want to do the following, but not sure in what order I should do them:

1) Get rid of all the bloatware using a download of decrapifier recommended by Zep.

2) Make Win8 restore media

3) Install Kaspersky anti virus which I have.

Then, I'm on my way to set the machine up how I need it. If I make the restore media first, will it contain bloatware? If I get rid of the bloatware first, I need to download decrap without an anti virus installed. I want a clean copy of restore media and don't know if installing the anti virus and decrap software before making the restore media will jeoprodize a clean copy of the restore media. But if I do the restore media first, will it contain all the bloatware?

Hope I'm making sense. Thanks for your reply.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
owbist

Personally I would get Kaspersky installed and updates installed sudden like then look for Windows updates. The rest can be done at your leisure then.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 8:45PM
grandms

Unfortunately, the "bloatware" you refer to is included in the recovery partition, so when you make your recovery media (DVDs), it will be included on them. When you use Decrapifier or other means to remove bloatware, you are removing it from the "C" drive, and not from the restore/recovery drive. I would do as Owbist suggests, and then make the restore media either before OR after you use Decrapifier.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 10:13PM
mikie_gw

I'd load the drive the way I wanted it, then go to the win8 control panels win7 backup and restore, and create my own original system image. Then I never ever have to screw around with this same stuff again for the system volumes.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 10:31PM
debo_2006

Thanks all. I want to make this as painless as possible...I've never done this before.

Bookmark   December 4, 2012 at 11:45PM
mikie_gw

Make your factory restore discs.
Then don't install Kaperski, win8 has good anti-virus.
Run the Decrapifier program.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/windows8.aspx

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 1:05AM
owbist

Mickie wrote:- win8 has good anti-virus.

Interesting I did not know that Mickie, a natural progression I suppose. Likely to upset the competition of course

Bookmark   December 5, 2012 at 6:52AM
More Discussions
how do I bypass my login?
I recently took my HP laptop to Data Doctors and it...
cornsnake_lover
Outlook problem bugging me
From my email program outlook 2013 I keep getting a...
big_al_41
Basic Video Help Needed
I know almost nothing about getting videos from video...
chas045
Internet Explorer keeps shutting down
I have just ignored this problem for the past 3 months...
Lea Grabb
Lenovo's "malware" not just Lenovo's.
It's been found in a dozen or so apps, some pre-installed,...
lazy_gardens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™