When Does A Video Card Shut Off?

justme4nowDecember 12, 2011

I haven't been able to find an answer to what seems like a simple question and I've done numerous Google and Forum searches on it.

If I am doing something like .. downloading a torrent (Which I would Never, Ever do) .. and I don't have any browser windows open and shut my monitor off .. will my video card stop running?

I just don't want the card running if it isn't being used.

Make sense? 8(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
owbist

If I am doing something like .. downloading a torrent (Which I would Never, Ever do) .. and I don't have any browser windows open and shut my monitor off .. will my video card stop running?

No probably not, the video card expects it's signal to reach the monitor. It has no way to understand you turned the monitor off.

On my Windows 7 home build with a Gigabyte motherboard sleep mode meant everything stopped running and all open things were saved to the memory (RAM), tyhe computer was totally silent. However it has been a troublesome board from the start and I recently rebuilt using a cheaper Biostar board. Now only the hard drives and monitor goes to sleep similar to what other operating systems do in sleep mode.

Most store bought computers today have the video built into the motherboard along with all the other peripheries from yesteryear.

What do you hope to save, money on power or wear and tear? Just curious here.

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 9:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
justme4now

Thank You owbist

Just wanted to save wear and tear on the card.

Bookmark   December 12, 2011 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
Owbist Where is Owbist?
Did he cash in? Haven't seen his dulcet tones since B4...
mxyplux
Change color of blinking cursor
When I am editing something I have just written and...
mudlady_gw
About those Garden Web Styles themes and skins for Firefox
I see they are authored by GW members. Thank you everyone....
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
Internet Explorer keeps shutting down
I have just ignored this problem for the past 3 months...
Lea Grabb
What a mess!
My user name on this forum is/was Tosh has been for...
oldschool
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™