Painting concrete statues

Roberta_z5February 14, 2006

I am going to paint a concrete rooster and have never used the acrylic paints before. In fact, I have never painted anything other than houses (inside and out.) After I paint him, should I spray or paint on a clear polyurethane to keep it from weathering outdoors?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yorkibear

YES and be prepared that the concrete sucks up lots of paint.

Bookmark   February 17, 2006 at 11:05PM
williamsburgjane

I am not sure about concrete, but I think you might want to use a coat of white on the rooster first as a base coat, before starting to use your colored acrylics. I do agree 100% with the above poster that concrete is really going to suck up the paint. There is also an
acyrlic paint that is made for outdoor things. I believe Plaid makes it. You might check at www.plaidonline.com to see about that too.

Bookmark   February 19, 2006 at 9:41AM
gftodd

YOU SHOULD PAINT THE STATUE BLACK FIRST WITH A WATER BASED PAINT. THEN DO YOUR COLORS WITH WATER BASED PAINT THEN SEAL IT WITH EPOXY COAT. YOU CAN LOOK UP EPOXY-COAT ON GOOGLE IT HAS A LIFETIME GUARANTEE. I RECENTLY BOUGHT CONCRETE PALM TREES IN NORTH CAROLINA AND THE WOMAN THERE TOLD ME HOW TO PAINT THEM. HER AND HER HUSBAND OWN A CONCRETE BUSINESS AND THE WOMAN PAT DOES ALL OF THE PAINTING.

Bookmark   July 4, 2007 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
old - old - old crafts
Boy - looking at that Pack O Fun magazine got me thinking...
toomuchglass
yooooo - hooooo
Merry Christmas everyone. Miss the old days at this...
grandma_bonnie
Christmas Village
I received a few pieces last x-mas and I didnt do a...
christine1950
yarn picture kit
I am looking for a kit that was popular in the 70's...
Terri-57
bread bags
I recently went to a craft show and a lady had bread...
oldcrafty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™