yo yo flag?

danaohFebruary 5, 2007

has anyone made an American flag using yo yo's? I am trying now, but don't know if I should put it on backing or what?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oddie

Have never made these , but maybe if you can tell us a little more about your project someone could help. how big are you makeing the flag, and what you are useing it for? and any photos would help. sorry I cant be much help.
Happy Crafting
oddie

Bookmark   February 6, 2007 at 8:21AM
sweets98

You can do it either way but traditionally, yo-yo quilts didn't have a backing. Yo-yo quilts are actually coverlets and were just laid across other bedding.

How big is your flag and what do you plan to do with it? Whether or not you need backing may depend on your plans. Yo-yo quilts and other items made by joining them, don't hold up incredibly well so if they are large and you plan to hang it somewhere, it will pull at the seams. They do require a lot of fixing over time.

I started making a quilt about two years ago. I posted pics this fall of my progress..I was up to about 1000 yo-yo's. I haven't touched it in a few months because I grew tired of it. I'll pick it up one day and get back into it, I'm sure but for now, it's laying on the bench at the foot of my bed :)

Bookmark   February 6, 2007 at 2:12PM
danaoh

I am doing a small one - my circles are 7 inches. Thinking 2 or 3 across and 2 or 3 down for the stars, then red with tiny white stars for the red stripe, and white with tiny blue stars for the white stripe. The stars are a navy background with bigger white stars. Thinking I might put it in a frame (without the glass, of course).

Bookmark   February 7, 2007 at 10:56AM
sweets98

You wouldn't need a backing then. The yo-yo's will hold up just fine in a frame because they'll be attached to the whatever you use for the backing there. A smaller item like that won't have as much trouble as say a quilt for a bed.

When you say 7" you mean prior to making the yo-yo, correct? When you are reading about yo-yo sizes, they usually measure them after they are made :)

Good luck!

Bookmark   February 8, 2007 at 8:56AM
More Discussions
jewelry wire for Christmas dangle ornament?
I can only find a couple of tutorials on the web and...
wilsonkaye
Thinking of learning decoupage....
........but some questions are stopping me. 1. Must...
pink_warm_mama_1
boot jewelry
Anyone here make boot jewelry? Looking for ideas and...
debrak2008
Is Petal Porcelain still available ?
Remember it ? Do they still make it ? It was made to...
toomuchglass
How to make hobbled roman shades?
Hi, Does anyone know of any free tutorials out there...
pritz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™