painting a toilet

danaohFebruary 7, 2007

has anyone ever painted a toilet? don't know if I want it all one color, it is in the basement, so maybe some fish or something, or stripes? Anyway, has anyone done it, how has it worked out and most importantly, what did you use and how did you do it?

I figure if anyone has done it, it is the people on the forum =

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grandma_bonnie

I went to www.ask.com and input "how to paint a sink or a toilet" found this
I painted a sink(Kitchen) several years ago and used a product " tough as tile" I also have my kitchen tiles painted this way at least since ten years. It's an epoxy pain and self leavelin. No brush marks and it look like porcelain. Now, if you like to marble the sink take take either china paint and depending on the size you could cure it in the dishwasher.(hopefully)
An other option, just use acrylic paints and varnish at least 25 to 30 coats. I did this in a designer showcase and it still holds up. Naturally the last two otions are "high maintenance" for the owner because ideally they should always wipe the sink after each use(which I do anyway I am so compulsive LOL) I also gold leafed a sink and gave it lots of varnish and it still holds up also, but this is in a powder room.Don't forget to disassemble the sink whatever you do. I mean remove stoppers, metals etc.

Bookmark   February 7, 2007 at 4:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
primitiveartdeco

I've painted tons of toilet seats, but never an entire toilet.

To paint a toilet seat, prime the lid with FLAT white paint. Paint your design with acrylic paints. Always use several thin coats as opposed to one or two thick ones. Let the seat dry at least overnight. Coat wih several coats of clear indoor/outdoor varnish. Don't use abrasive cleansers, just clean with a dampp cloth. I wouldn't advise painting the seat itself.

As far as painting the toilet itself, I would think that you could use deco perm enamel to paint designs on the outside of the bowl. The longer that paint cures, the more durable it is. Just be sure to clean the surface well with vinegar or alcohol and make sure that it's dry before painting.

Bookmark   February 16, 2007 at 9:11AM
More Discussions
What type of fabric to use to make primitive snowman?
Hi...I have been making snow man door hangers. What...
donnas_gw
Will bake potato bags burn in the microwave?
Will baked potato bags burn in the microwave? I use...
cooper9191
Is there a product?
that you can design specific lettering graphics on...
pixistix
Christmas Village
I received a few pieces last x-mas and I didnt do a...
christine1950
How to make hobbled roman shades?
Hi, Does anyone know of any free tutorials out there...
pritz
Sponsored Products
April Rotating Floor Cabinet with Mirror by Wyndham Collection - Matte White
Modern Bathroom
Emerald Outdoor Reims Weathered Teak Dining Table - OD1207C-15
Hayneedle
A19 Lighting | Great Andros Downlight Wall Sconce
$214.99 | YLighting
Italia Venezia Series Chrome Toilet Paper Holder
Overstock.com
Round Chrome Toilet Brush Holder -21
TheBathOutlet