I think I made a big mistake...

goodbyekittyNovember 23, 2013

We're having a 50" built in bar area constructed in our living room. I had asked the contractor to make a space for a 15" wine fridge. Today I went shopping for the fridge and I was told that a wine fridge needs to vent like a regular fridge. I should have known this as much as I lurk on these boards, but I thought all I needed to do was plug it in and voila!

Do you have any recommendations for a 15" wine fridge that is good for under the counter? I know Viking makes one but that is way over my budget. Do I have time to change the dimensions of the cabinet? Is it better to change the dimension of the fridge?

We're also having new wood floors put in the first week in December, I think the cabinets are going in after that. There will be no plumbing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeageaux

I think the Sub Zero is actually a little cheaper and I would take that one over Viking in a heartbeat.

Marvel Luxury Series 30WCMBSGL is a little louder than the two above but pretty good overall at $1400.

Anything cheaper that can be built-in is Chinese made or assembled somewhere else with Chinese components. I think its preferable to buy one American fridge to several Chinese units over 10 years at $500+ a pop.

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 11:16PM
goodbyekitty

Thank you for that info. And the finance lesson is something I forgot about in my dismay over the weekend trying to figure out what I was going to do.

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 10:16AM
cabman

Ask your counter top guy to cut a vent hole in the top as far back as possible and install a grill .This allows the heat to escape up from behind the cooler.If you don't want to see the hole, you could cut a 15" slot at the wall and cheat the back splash forward a 1/2". You don't need much of a hole. The heat will rise drawing cool air in from under the unit. Plus most coolers that are intended to be built in vent out the front near the floor.

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 5:22PM
dodge59

We've had a built in Electrolux fridge for over 7 years now, no vents cept that which is in the front, never had a problem in the 7 years we've owned it, and NOOOOO, its not made of cheap Chineese parts!!!!

Gary

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 6:06PM
dodge59

Meant to say, Wine Fridge!!!

Gary

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 6:08PM
pigeonenglish

This may be a helpful workaround for someone in the same position but with an even tighter budget: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/under-counter-fridge-178816

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 7:15PM
pigeonenglish

This may be a helpful workaround for someone in the same position but with an even tighter budget: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/under-counter-fridge-178816

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 7:17PM
goodbyekitty

I've decided if I'm going to do this right I am going to plunk down at least $1300 for either a U-Line or a Marvel. It has to be done. My contractor wants to have it here first because I think he wants to be sure that the fillers fit correctly.

Thanks for the link Pigeonenglish. When I went shopping this weekend the salesman at Beemis told me that they once knew of a hospital that installed a couple hundred "dorm room" fridges underneath cabinets and they all broke down within weeks. Someone should have told them! I'm so grateful he told me that so that I wouldn't find a cheap one to throw in.

Bookmark   November 24, 2013 at 8:18PM
kaseki

Perlick refrigeration devices vent in and out of the lower front toe-kick area.

kas

Bookmark   November 25, 2013 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
Help with induction please
I am planning to buy induction when we reno the kitchen....
sherri1058
High end appliances thermador vs. dacor
I currently have dacor ovens. I am trying decide brands...
mcaprizs
Anyone with a double oven range wish they had gone with wall ovens?
My DH thought we'd get a double oven range, but I like...
happyallison
HELP PLEASE New Dacor range to replace old DCS (Fisher Paykel) range?
We moved into a house that has a 9 year old DCS by...
princesspronoid
Fisher Paykel Dishwasher Drawers-do you have them?
I am in need of guidance. From what I can gather, it's...
beekeeperswife
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™