Picture frames

mollycatsFebruary 16, 2009

I bought a picture at a flea market yesterday and I am curious about the frame on it. It is very light almost as light as styrofoam. The lady said it was made of wood but wouldn't share anymore info on it.

The frame is painted black and sanded around the edges. I'd really like to buy or make some of these frames. Anyone know anything about this type frame?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnyca_gw

Balsa wood is extremely white & light. It used to be available for dollhouse furniture at hobby shops, haven't seen any lately but imagine Michael's has some in their wood section. Another wood that can be very light is redwood but it is pale redish color. Both woods you can easily scratch with fingernail. I think balsa would break if pic frame larger than about 4x6, not sure on that. They are making plastic into 2x4's so could be plastic & she didn't want you to know. Also a composite material, look at back uncolored part of frame, should give you idea, neither of woods I mentioned have much of a grain so you won't see pattern like you do on oak. That's all I know about it. All the hardwoods are heavy & pine & fir are pretty heavy also compared to styrofoam! Jan

Bookmark   February 16, 2009 at 11:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mollycats

Thanks for the wood discriptions Sunny. My DH thinks it is balsa wood. He says the one I bought will warp out of shape because it is so light. My picture is about 30" X 4".
I like to frame postcards, calander pictures,ect so I might try making some of these is smaller sizes.
Thanks again for your help.

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
How to decorate christmas tree, beads ribbons etc
I am trying to decide how to decorate my tree this...
L A
What type of fabric to use to make primitive snowman?
Hi...I have been making snow man door hangers. What...
donnas_gw
Can anyone recommend a spray paint for Styrofoam?
I know it exists, as I've used it. I need to spray...
linnea56
Hair Jewelry/Headpiece Questions
Hi everyone, This year, I will be attempting once again...
moonwolf_gw
Would like to learn decoupage.......
....but have some questions. 1. Must water be used...
pink_warm_mama_1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™