Smelly Shells

sameboatFebruary 20, 2009

I would like to put some seashells on the wreaths I make but I'm afraid they will be smelly. If I purchase the shells, they are not native to MA beaches, which is where I live. If I collect the shells on the beach, they SMELL! How to rid them of that awful smell?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JoAnn_Fla

Bleach them and air out.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 6:48PM
TwoMonths

Here in CA we put in water on the stove and cook out the smell....just barely bring to boil I believe.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 9:46PM
sameboat

Wow! Thank you everyone!

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 11:28AM
tami_ohio

My grandmother always put them in a bucket with bleach water in it over night. I still have some of her shells that she collected, oh my!, over 40 years ago! and they do not smell to this day. She rinsed them the next day and layed them out to dry. She and grandpa spent about 3 winters in FL before he died. When they came home, the shells got stored in coffee cans or whatever they had to put them in. They never smelled.

Tami

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 9:18PM
adellabedella_usa

I read somewhere that if they still have chunks of critter in them to find an ant hill and let them clean it out.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 11:11PM
twinklenose

Hopefully, I'm not hijacking by asking this, since it's not about shells..., but a few times I've purchased strings of crafting "pearls" and when you open the plastic bag, they stink just like a skunk!! I've aired, doused with Febreze, soaked in soapy water, etc etc but nothing would eliminate that awful odor, so finally chunked the pearls.:(
Any ideas, please?
Thank you!:)

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 11:35AM
tami_ohio

Twinklenose, Put them in a plastic bag with some charcoal. Not the kind with the lighter fluid already in it, the plain stuff. Leave them sealed up for a few days. Worked when my car smelled like rotten milk, even after cleaning the carpet after the milk jug leaked. Also took the smell of spoiled food out of a refrigerator.

Tami

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 11:46PM
More Discussions
Vinyl armrest repair
The white driver side armrest on my mid-80s GM car...
davestexas
wind spinner patterns
does anyone have patterns for the old time wind spinners...
parker806
Drying or preserving live flowers....
Having just lost a son, I'd like to be able to preserve...
SunnyDJ
Halloween Costume Update
Hi everyone, Some of you may remember me asking where...
moonwolf_gw
Halloween ideas
Hello, I am looking to do some knitted characters for...
Chrsbt45
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™