Hair Sticks?

cfmuehlingFebruary 11, 2005

Hi all!

Can anyone tell me the best way to attach beads to the end of a hair stick that has been drilled? Drilled into, not through?

I can't find a forum dedicated to hair sticks. Ha! No surprise. [LOL]

Thanks,

Christine

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pokeydecatur

What's a hair stick????

Barbara

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 11:53AM
cfmuehling

Forgive me; I'm really not trying to be obtuse, but they're sticks you use in your hair.

Picture chop sticks with holes drilled into the ends where one can add beads, wire, feathers, all kinds of hoo-ha.

C.

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 12:26PM
barb_from_pa

Barbara - This will give you an idea.
Barb

Here is a link that might be useful: Hair sticks

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 12:40PM
cfmuehling

They're lovely, Barb. However, it doesn't answer my question.

See, I am small. Regular hair sticks are 6-8'' long, which then stab me in the neck. Not terribly comfortable! So I have bought the sticks themselves, and would like to decorate them myself. I'm a little more conservative than the ornaments one finds in the stores anyway. The thing is, I don't know how to get the pins or beads to stay on the darned sticks!

Thanks, though. :)
Christine

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 12:52PM
angiebeagles

I know that some will use hat pins, and cut off the excess, then use some type of glue maybe to keep it in? I know that i read that somewhere, but darned if i can remember or find where.

You might check out fire mountain gems and see if they have any directions. I know that they sell the supplies- eveyrthing you could want. (look in findings, or do a search for hat pin and/or hairstick)

(i have the opposite problem- the sticks are too short, cuz i have soo much hair, so they get lost in my hair. I've ordered everything i need to do some for me, but haven't done them yet. LMK how yours come out).

Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: fire mountain

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 5:45PM
adellabedella_usa

Look at the 5th picture on this site. Not quite instructions, but it says what they used to make their hair sticks. http://www.manyhorses.com/store_hairsticks.htm

Here is another site with a brief suggestion.
http://www.augumspenworks.com/jewelry-supplies.2.htm

Bookmark   February 11, 2005 at 8:43PM
cfmuehling

Ahh, Angie! I love Firemountain and buy lots of my fittings there. Good idea for instructions! I have waist length hair, myself, but it's thin. Regular barettes or clips are too big, so my alternative is hair sticks. I wish my hair were thicker so I could use some of the beautiful ornaments around. As it is, it's either a pen, a stick, a screw driver (working in computers, sometimes my husband says I come home looking like the statue of liberty with all my equipment stick in my hair), or hopefully a pretty stick.

Ladies, the links are great and have given me lots of ideas. I'm particularly thrilled with ManyHorses.com selling 4.5'' sticks. Now if I could get them to shorten some of their darker ones...!

I didn't realize the bead closest to the very end of the hair stick was usually glued on!!!! DUH!

I make my how looped pins, and have enough head pins to do some nice things. I have an overly large, obsessively collected selection of Indonesian, Balinese and Indian silver beads I want to use with these sticks.

Thank you! Excellent links and ideas!
Christine

Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 1:35PM
angiebeagles

AHA!

I finally found the page i was looking for.

THis is when i decided i couldn't live without hair sticks. But i also decided for that price i could do my own.

I think this is where i read about them using the hairpins, but i can't find it right now.

Anyways, talk about a site for inspiration!!

Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: Hair place

Bookmark   February 17, 2005 at 10:39AM
cfmuehling

I've been there, too, Angie. Great inspiration.
I've just bought some great sticks on eBay. Found some that were 6'', which is juuuuuust too long for me, but they came and they're actually about 5''. Drilled, too!

I've a huge bead collection, so that's not something I have to buy. If you would like the vendors' links from whom I purchased, I'd be happy to share. Naturally, no affiliation here. This one vendor, though, had the sticks at my front door within 36 hours of the transaction. I was floored!

I'm excited to try to put these together. :)
Thanks all!
Christine

Bookmark   February 17, 2005 at 2:26PM
Pokeydecatur

So, now I know what a hairstick is....I've seen them before but never knew they had a name. Those shown are really pretty, aren't they? But expensive!, wow!!! I'm going to have to think about making some of those for my DDs. Thanks y'all!

Barbara

Bookmark   February 18, 2005 at 10:40AM
angiebeagles

Oh, yes, please share, i always need just one more vendor to buy from!

aNgie

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 3:03PM
angiebeagles

Oh, yes, please share, i always need just one more vendor to buy from!

aNgie

Bookmark   February 23, 2005 at 3:04PM
cfmuehling

Sorry for the delay! :)

Here are the links to the items I bought on eBay. The vendor has an online store, but so you could get directly to the hair sticks, I thought this would be the easiest way to see them. I'm pleased with their weight and quality. I am hard on them, bending even mettle ones as I skewer my hair to my head. I haven't decorated them yet, but I'm already using them! [lol].

The black, 5'' ones are here, and the brown wood, 6'' ones are here.

The nice thing for this impatient one, was that they were in my mailbox less than 48 hours later. Blew ME away!

Good luck. Hey! I'd also love to see what anyone does with them! I'm not terribly creative and would love ideas.

Thanks for your help,
Christine

Bookmark   February 28, 2005 at 8:06AM
More Discussions
bread bags
I recently went to a craft show and a lady had bread...
oldcrafty
yooooo - hooooo
Merry Christmas everyone. Miss the old days at this...
grandma_bonnie
Vinyl armrest repair
The white driver side armrest on my mid-80s GM car...
davestexas
old - old - old crafts
Boy - looking at that Pack O Fun magazine got me thinking...
toomuchglass
Wooden cutouts
This crazy but I am looking for a Texas tech university...
lholton2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™