stucco vs hardie plank

crazyoneOctober 12, 2009

has any one had both stucco (put on by a reputable stucco firm) and hardie plank on houses and can you state which you prefer and why?

we are in Zone 3 which gets all seasons which factor in but we have always liked the look of stucco. it seems so much pleasing to the eye. I have seen some of the hardie houses done with a few different applications and thought them lovely but our house is a basic ranch style with 1 dormer on each side and we do not want the horizontal lines to be all you see.

opinions and photos greatly appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomato_dude_mi

I had been thinking for a long time we were going with a fiber cement clapboard look (like Hardie Plank). Lately, I've been thinking about stucco as well. I'll be interested in the answers.

One question I have is this: can the stucco products be pre-tinted thru and thru, so that the colour can't actually peel or wear away? If yes, then the next question is: does this colouring fade over time?

I understand the pre-painted Hardie Planks will hold their paint a lot longer (3 to 5 times?), but they still will begin to show wear and eventually need to be repainted. Can this be avoided entirely with stucco?

Found this link. May be useful to some.
http://www.cement.org/homes/brief15.asp

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 9:08PM
crazyone

we have had stucco on our last 2 homes and they were colored thru and thru and they never faded but again were light colors.
and this whole hardie plank issue is scaring me right off however the architecht and 3 builders were swearing it was the answer to all the problems.. HMMMM

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 9:13PM
brickeyee

Real Portland cement based stucco or the 'synthetic' junk?

The real thing has a good record.

The fake stuff a poor record.

I am not a particular lover of cement based siding like Hardi, but mot of the problems have been paint related, not the base material.

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 9:29PM
srercrcr

I wish other things in this world held up like Hardie plank. Mine was installed and painted 13 years ago. Paint bonded to it, you can't even get a fingernail under it to peel it off. What more could you ask for? It's one of those rare things, you repaint it cause you're tired of the color!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 5:44AM
creek_side

I have seen some of the hardie houses done with a few different applications and thought them lovely but our house is a basic ranch style with 1 dormer on each side and we do not want the horizontal lines to be all you see.

We had similar concerns, so we went with a mix of board and batten and lap. The boards (panel) and lap are Nichiha, and the battens are Hardie. The exposed foundation is getting stucco.

I appologize for the quality of the pic. It was taken with a cell phone on a really dull day, and it looks it.

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 6:51AM
tomato_dude_mi

@crazyone
> this whole hardie plank issue is scaring me right off

What scares you about the Hardie Plank?

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 11:29AM
dancingsams

I would say it depends somewhat on where you live. We are in central California, with plenty of earthquakes. Stucco does not hold up well when the earth moves.

We used hardiplank and are extremely happy! Ours is a multistory victorian, with dormers. It looks perfect (IMHO) and our friends and neighbors agree. Also, the hardiplank is pretty much impervious to fire - another consideration in my neck of the woods.

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 4:36PM
brutuses

I agree, it depends where you live in some instances.

Down here in S. Louisiana Hardie Plank is a dream come true for many reasons, the main ones being it's impervious to termites and moisture.

Stucco is known to crack down here due to sinking ground and then the moisture factor is a killer. One tiny leak and you have huge, expensive problems.

Bookmark   October 15, 2009 at 10:05PM
phillipeh

We had stucco on the front of our old house and HardiPlank on the covered rear porch. We had no problems with the stucco, and the HardiPlank was ok, but after 3 years, when we sold the house, it was looking like it would need to be painted in the next year or so. And that was a covered porch! After only 3 years! The stucco was exposed to the weather in the front, and we didn't have any problems.

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 11:51AM
jojoco

We've had HardiPlank on our home in upstate NY for almost 4 years. Winters are severe with over 200 inches of snow (actually, it is probably much higher--I am in denial). Wind is fierce, lots of rain, etc. Our hardiplank was factory painted and has held up perfectly. Not a peeling section anywhere. Still looks brand new.

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 1:03PM
kudzu9

jojoco-
Looks great, and you must have a climate that tests the limit of this stuff. That's not to say that there isn't an occasional batch of siding that is defective, but, in searching online for reports of problems, I haven't found large numbers of people who were dissatisfied with this product. And since it is widely used, I'd expect Google to turn up thousands or tens of thousands of complaints if there was a basic deficiency with this material.

A few people who reported delamination problems were in locales where they had large drifts of snow that were up against the siding for months at a time. I'm curious to know if you allow drifts to sit against your siding or not.

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 2:16PM
crazyone

jojoco what a stunning home, very lovely!!

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 2:19PM
jojoco

thanks! Here is my home in the winter. No special treatment. Fact is, we tend to steer clear of the shoveling jobs.

jo

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 4:41PM
crescent50

A picture really is worth a thousand words!
Beautiful looking house Jo and a great reinforcement for those of of worried about the wear of Hardi in cold weather climates.
It looks brand new and gorgeous!

Bookmark   October 16, 2009 at 5:24PM
moonlily12

Jojoco - my husband is in love with your house!! We are looking at the Arbordale/Southerland Donald Gardner plan, but now my husband wants to throw the Fitzgerald in the mix because of your house photo!! Do you have any interior photos of the house plan that you could share?

Bookmark   November 28, 2009 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
Savings - basement bar with laminate
Working on finding ways to get closer to our original...
Mini Soda
We have started construction!!
We have just started construction of our new home in...
Jack Mason
Are these doors acceptable to you?
These are walnut interior doors. I understand that...
pumpkinhouse
Induction cooktops.... Do you have one?
I am doing research on what is out there as far as...
blandinababes
Lessons of this Winter
I find lots of people are guided by aesthetics and...
edlincoln
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™