What do you mean, not enough free space?

debo_2006December 18, 2012

I have a 1TB external Seagate, plug & play. My Asus hard drive is 750GB. I figured 1TB would be plenty to make a system image.

So, when I tried I got this message:
Not enought disk space to create the volume shadow on the storage location. Make sure that for all volumes to be backed up, the min required disk space for shadow copy creation is available. This applies to both the backup storage destination and volumes included in the backup. Min requirment: For volume less than 500 megabytes, the min is 50 meg free space. For volume more than 500 megabytes, the min is 320 megabyes free space. Recommended: At least 1 gig free space on each volume if volume size is more that 1 gig.

The auto image backup (Win8) wanted to backup 3 drives (I could not select what I wanted)
1) C drive
2) EFI sys partition
3) Recovery

It indicated that backup could take 61 GB disk space.

Any idea why all this won't fit on a hard drive much larger than my computer drive?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zep516

A lot of people have the same error / message. I don't have an answer other then use a third party back up tool instead of Windows.

Go ahead an Google Not enough disk space to create the volume shadow on the storage location.

Here's one thread on the matter.

Here is a link that might be useful: not-enough-room-create-system-image-but-there

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 4:56PM
mikie_gw

EaseUS ToDo free ... faster than windows, smaller backups too. Only maybe main 3 scenario's.. so pretty easy for most to figure out.

Right now on win8 I'm using windows 7 backup for folders and EaseUS for sys images. EaseUS reimaged win8 once, it seemed fast for me. 53gb windows drive = 20gb image at medium compression. Somewhere slightly more than 10 minutes to reimage.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 5:51PM
debo_2006

Are these 3rd party backups safe? Are they downloaded programs to my computer or are my system image backup "somewhere out ther"? How do they work? I'm reading up on these but don't understand.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 6:12PM
zep516

Backup and Recovery

Acronis True Image Home 2012

The one above you can try for free, it's a trial version, you download it 215 MB. Why not fool around with it and see how you like it, I'm sure you can put the image on your external drive.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/

Here is a link that might be useful: acronis.com

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 6:29PM
grandms

I found Acronis UI rather difficult to navigate, so even though I had purchased it, I use EaseUS ToDo free version just as mikie recommends. It is simple to use, you can back up exactly what you want to, and if you ever have a need to restore, the restoration process is very easy. I had a hard drive die, so when I installed the new one, I used the restore function of EaseUS ToDo to put everything back on the new drive, from the external drive, including operating system. Highly recommend this program.

Bookmark   December 18, 2012 at 11:33PM
zep516

Sounds good to me, I like easy...

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 12:13AM
debo_2006

Thanks for the replies. I was checking out the above recommended, and still have to ask if Easeus is a program I download to my computer to backup or if I'm backing up to a cloud-like place where all my stuff isn't in only my possession? ....while it might be encrypted, will my system image with files, customer info for work, etc be out there for potential hackers? Exactly how does it work? I need to know my info is safe.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 8:01AM
mikie_gw

You won't get cloud backup. Local to your drive, or portable or burn.
They might have a cloud option, I doubt it would be free .. but if youre making a system or drive image.. those are more than a huge uploads and huge downloads too if needed.

This post was edited by mikie on Wed, Dec 19, 12 at 13:31

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 1:29PM
grandms

You will download the program to your computer. Then you choose where to put your backups. I use an external hard drive. You can also use DVDs, USB drives, etc. No, as far as I know, there is no cloud storage involved. The program remains on my computer, and when there is an update, I am notified that one is available.

Bookmark   December 19, 2012 at 10:04PM
More Discussions
Safe email emoticon download for FF or Chrome?
I don't find a "search" option in the new...
Evenshade 8a
Super-AntiSpyware - where do I go to get it?
Super-antispyware - that IS the GOOD one, isn't it?...
Janey - formerly jane2
'Unnetworking' a computer
Trying to help a friend with his Vista computer. Something...
jane__ny
How do I choose a power supply
I have a 300 watt power supply. I want to upgrade...
Pooh Bear
Can't figure out why my Firefox Colorful Tabs don't display
My colorful tabs stopped working and I can't figure...
lynnalexandra
Sponsored Products
Quantum Stainless Steel 33-Light Clear Spectra Crystal Pendant Light, 36.5W x 13
Bellacor
s: 17 in. Dark CLI-LS495451
Home Depot
Mahogany Bronze Whitehaus WHKCR3-4400 Widespread Kitchen Faucet with Spray
$629.00 | Blue Bath
New Cat Condos Triple Cat Tunnel - 110031 - BEIGE
$139.99 | Hayneedle
Speckled Glass Tiger Bronze 3-Light Pendant
Lamps Plus
Kichler Dover Transitional Semi Flush Mount
1800Lighting
People viewed this after searching for: