Ground walnut shells for pin cushions?

concretenprimrosesJanuary 19, 2012

Has anyone used these? I really don't like using poly stuffing. I want something that is quick and easy when you sew but also keeps the pins in shape. Has some oomph to it. Ive seen the walnut shells recommended. I don't even know where to buy them tho.

Kathy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kim546

Crete, I could have sworn I read that rice was used in pin cushions. I don't know where to check???? Blessings, Kim:)

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 6:34PM
concretenprimroses

I think the problem with rice and flax etc is they could spoil if they get damp, or attract vermin. I've discovered that pet stores carry walnut shells to use as small animal and bird cage lining. But some people are also allergic to walnuts. Not to many I hope cuz I now want to try it.
Kathy

Bookmark   January 20, 2012 at 8:29PM
FlamingO in AR

I use the ground up walnut shells, I buy it at the pet store, it's sold in the reptile and the bird depts. Look at both because one is likely to be a finer grind, that's the one I prefer, it's smoother in the pincushion. (Picture me walking thru the reptile dept with my eyes closed, I don't want to see the snakes, ugh.) The bigger bag is a better deal, of course.

Oh, be careful when you stuff the empty pincushion, if it's white. The ground shells can stain it. Also, sew it tightly closed by hand, you don't want any of the shells to get in your sewing machine.

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 10:31AM
concretenprimroses

Thanks flamingo!
Kathy

Bookmark   January 21, 2012 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
Is there a product?
that you can design specific lettering graphics on...
pixistix
Vinyl armrest repair
The white driver side armrest on my mid-80s GM car...
davestexas
How to make hobbled roman shades?
Hi, Does anyone know of any free tutorials out there...
pritz
yarn picture kit
I am looking for a kit that was popular in the 70's...
Terri-57
Halloween ideas
Hello, I am looking to do some knitted characters for...
Chrsbt45
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™