Reverse Osmosis Water Filter + Chilled Water

lalitharNovember 17, 2012

Hi,

We are doing a RO system by Kinetico. Is there anyway to get a water chiller connected to this so that we can have *cold* filtered water? We do not have a dispenser in the Fridge, so this would have to a separate water chiller. I understand about RO systems needing PEX lined piping etc.. So I guess the question is if there is a RO compatible water chiller.

Lalitha

Lalitha

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cj47_gw

Are you thinking of a water cooler, such as is found in some offices? If so, if you google Kinetico water coolers or chillers, you'll find some. And some have the filter built in.

Cj

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 8:52PM
lalithar

Sorry for not being more clear.. I was thinking a setup where I would have a beverage faucet at the sink that is connected to the water chiller which is connected to the RO (Kinetico K5).

Thanks

Lalitha

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 1:15AM
kaseki

Some water sources, when subject to reverse osmosis filtering, become acidic (low pH), which could cause metal ion leaching from metals such as brass. To avoid this there are two approaches.

One is to use inert tubing such as PEX (for large diameters 1/2 and up), regular polyethylene tubing (the usual approach for 1/4 or 3/8 diameters -- Portage Specialty Co., McMaster-Carr, etc.), or stainless steel. Stainless steel tubing and storage tanks would also be suitable for water chillers.

The other approach is to follow up the RO system with a cartridge that buffers the water pH to slightly alkaline. (SpectraPure may have these.) This might add some calcium ions to the water, so the reason for using an RO system would be a factor; that is, whether it is mainly for cleaning or to make nearly distilled water).

As it happens, my RO water is slightly alkaline, so leaching is not an issue. I use 3/8 poly for household distribution.

kas

Here is a link that might be useful: Portage Specialty Co

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 7:55AM
More Discussions
Fhiaba column refrigerator freezer anyone?
Has anyone seen these in person or have in their kitchen?...
Dietitian
Rangetops - Wolf, Bluestar Platinum, or Bluestar "regular"
I realize some of my questions have been covered, but...
riese1
Capital Culinarian oven latch
My wife and I have a nearly new 36" self clean...
fredbarber
Water Pooling on Bottom of Refrigerator and Leaking
Hi: I have a Kenmore Pro 48 inch side by side Refrigerator....
Rob Fleming
DCS double wall oven--reviews?
I'm in the market for a double wall oven and saw a...
anna_chosak
Sponsored Products
Art Virtuoso Venetian Canal Scenes Framed Art Print-P9901B-05657
Beyond Stores
Aquios FS-220L Salt-free Water Softener and Filtration System with VOC Reduction
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Collection Blinds & Shades Cut-to-Width Sahara 9/16 in.
Home Decorators Collection
Lena 3-light Mystic Black Chandelier
Overstock.com
MERV 8 High Capacity Pleated Furnace Filters Multicolor - 40001-204-0019
$22.99 | Hayneedle
Mesh Black Table Lamp by Forestier
$913.85 | Lumens
Blindsgalore Motorized Skylight Shade - Light Filtering
Blindsgalore
Replacement Filter for 36" Treviso Series Wall-Mount Range Hood
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™